Repairing Quasi ribbon on Magnepan 1.6

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Has anyone successfully been able to fix the quasi ribbon? I have a few holes in a magnepan someone donated to me. Their cat too a swipe at it and there is a little hole through a trace.

The way i see it. I need to close the hole (easy), and then retrace the foil (how to do this?)

I think i just put a little bit of mylar on the whole to fix it. The mylar will also be over the quasi-ribbon. Then i need to add aluminium foil or paint over the newly added mylar to connect the aluminium trace.

What can i use? I rather not peel out a Capacitor to get a aluminium trace thorugh.

you have broken magnepans every week :) cheapest method and most easy patch it then buy some silver conductive paint. if it is just to bridge. if you missing a whole lot of trace... then well i dont know

ill patch the holes with mylar then top it with a copper trace (3mm em shield copper tape) and bridge it with paint. its really a couple of small less than 1 cm holes

now the very small mm holes. should i repair them? its really a hassle to take out the wiring for something that small

Last edited:
why not, i would not repair holes in the first place but if you really want to.... put some tape over it and replace the missing part with soem conductive glue or whatever does not need soldering.

or replace everything.

there are some holes where the normal wire is. I'm just going to fix the more severe holes because it's too much of a hassle to fix the smaller holes (removing the wires etc..).

Any clue where to get conductive paint in a shop in the Netherlands?

No luck so far. Just ordered copper tape and conductive paint from Aliexpress... Really sad that I'm unable to get this stuff here, or shipping takes ages. Might as well save money if i need to wait anyway.

Anyway, was wondering if copper strips are going to be a problem. Being that it's mixing aluminium and copper. Now it's not in salty water, so electrolyses should be a problem in the short run, but just wanted to hear the opinions.

Also, temporarily patched the panel with aluminium foil, and they sound absolutely fantastic. I'm really looking forward to getting this all finished (both the panel, but also the cloth)

2 questions I have:
1. the original clotch is a bit thin, such that you an actually see the panel. This is different fabric from the Magnepan 1.4 which is much denser and you cannot see through it easily. Does anyone know a good alternative? I actually want to have the panels look like an even black.

2. (i think i know the anser, but i'm going for it anyway). I'm looking to upgrade some components to best add to the 1.6. My first thought was an amp (have a nad 3400 power envelope 100 watt @ 8 ohm, i want to get a pioneer spec 2), perhaps biamping (but that needs a crossover). But the other option would be two additional Subwoofers. What would be the best investment? and if it is a Subwoofer, how low should it go and where would you approximately x-over?

Ok, just back from holiday and received the parts i needed to repair this thing. I must say, i'm a bit dissappointed when comparing it with the SMGA.

The high range on the 1.6 is just not as sparkling as the SMGA (although better than on the 1.4). Is this correct?

I'm thinking of putting away the 1.6 in favor of the SMGa, but then I will be complementing the SMGa with a couple of subwoofers. Is that going to workout well? the SMGa will only go as low as 50 hz, a subwoofer is normally best crossed over under this frequency.

Other though i had was to just use the 4 speakers in a 5.1 setup (with a conventional speaker as center). Is this something that makes sense?

hmm there is just something about the SMGa that makes them sound nices.

But i think i'll make a 5.1 setup.... just need to have a center speaker. Thinking about getting a Exciter speaker and using a panel.... not sure if that will match well... both plane like speakers, but i'm guessing that the exciter is not going to be very swift.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.