100-400 hz in the box, more diffused the better?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Sorry here’s the pic.

Attachments

• C1EAE25C-3D8D-498A-9B46-FC41761E4F55.jpg
    C1EAE25C-3D8D-498A-9B46-FC41761E4F55.jpg
    528.2 KB · Views: 205
Side joke: don’t we think in waves? ... Any is still better than none right? The box that got me thinking about this is 18L. And the frequency doesn’t do what I want it to as much if I stuff it more than a little padding on the walls. So I’m thinking maybe diffusing is a good precaution just not a lot of room. Or perhaps at that size it’s not so important?

More info on the dimensions you need: this shows that a 40mm thick acoustic panel absorbs only at the the top of the 100-400Hz range you're talking about.

Sound Absorption

a little padding on the walls

At low frequencies, padding away from the walls works better than padding on the walls. Similarly, with room treatment, curtains and hangings absorb to lower frequencies if they are spaced out from the walls.

Sound-Absorbing Drapery: Theory & Application

"Up to a point, the deeper the spacing, the more improvement to low frequency absorption you will see. Consider spacing the drape 6 to 12 inches from the surface behind."

...so take this into account, but I think your best efforts will only reap ~2dB benefit in the range of interest.

Cool stuff... developed for submarines. Thinking a little more on this. I want to improve as much as I can the + 200hz and diminish as much as I can below 100 in this box. The thought of the sound in the box leaking out thru the driver and walls makes sense that when I stuff it full the plus 100 goes down and sub 100 goes deeper. Adding the “fake larger cubic space” (Close mic’d). So I think my goal is to keep the curve but do what I can to make sure resonates and/or standing waves are as smooth as poss. Not necessarily deaden. That brings up another question. If I’m using a semi live box to eq. The curve am I creating a problem? I know I always... or is this how speakers are designed?

I did a little testing. Looks like the smaller the box the bigger the impact. The small box is 18L and the big is 40.3L The image with 2 curves are at 40.3L with 3 diffusers each measurement but in different locations.

Attachments

• 18L pics.jpg
    18L pics.jpg
    936.8 KB · Views: 90
  • 18l diffuser test.jpg
    18l diffuser test.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_2137.JPG
    IMG_2137.JPG
    956.5 KB · Views: 79
  • 40L pics.jpg
    40L pics.jpg
    972.8 KB · Views: 78
  • 40l diffuser test.jpg
    40l diffuser test.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 77
  • 40l 3 diffusers dif location.jpg
    40l 3 diffusers dif location.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 60
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.