Beyma 15XA38Nd in Tannoy GRF style enclosure

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello, after looking on the web and being inspired again from Maarten on The Art of Sound I borrowed some money (1000€) to accomplish my project...

Some time ago I paired a Fane souvereign 400 15" with a Faital tweeter in quasi coax open baffle small horn build and was suprized about the big sound...

So, after listening to some Acron 300C for a few years and never really being satisfied :) I did it again... but with a more serious approach :)

Maarten put some photos and a technical drawing in photobucket but I couldnt read all his measureings :) and also couldnt get ahold of him... dubbing somewhere on the planet...

I odered the pre cut wood because I do not have a car...
With a few mashines, I had to cut the 45° and other angles by hand... it was fun, but makes alot of sweat... :) And now I can saw straight :)

Some of the wood was crooked, so I had to build strange looking things to glue all correct :)

A diy crossover was found on a russian site...

What a fine Beyma chassis! Sound very smooth and big and just right for me!
For 4 more years we will live in a big appartement with a living room of 5 x 8 meters... :) So, nows the time to enjoy big sound!
I also thank my family for their indulgence... with papa's crazy hobby!

Beyma 15XA38ND

Hi hifisucks,

Having chased Tannoy Vintage Drivers, I eventually ended up with a pair of same Beymas. Trying to get around the build the enclosures.

Your build should push me ! Thanks for posting. Any comments on their performance and the crossover you used ?

Jayant

Hi Jayant, my luck is that I dont know the sound of the Tannoy drivers :)
And, one must have a lot of experiance for searching and buying from people you must trust :)
You may question then, why I build these big speakers...
Well, I heard the the sound in my head before I bought the beymas,wood and crossover parts... :)

I am very surprized about the result! For me, all is perfect!
I did hear a positive developement after a few days... so the chassis have to ajust to their new home :)

Now I hear how importent it is for quality amplification...
My Yarland FV34C-V is a good combination, but sounds stress at higher volumes...
Soon I will recieve a Vista Audio Spark from serbia...

I highly recomend these drivers... very good melting of coax construction!
Crossover divide at 1800Hz...I bridged the 3.3 resister....
It is the original Beyma crossover ingrediences...

All the best!
Chris

Last edited:
I find best sound projection way back in my living room... 7-8 meters... almost in the kitchen :)
I guess these speakers are not for small rooms and near field listening :) hahaha

I like the 15" coax very much!
Absolutly no box coloration and endless open live sound...
In this configuration no boomy bass trouble...

Last edited:
Since the 15XA38Nd is my avatar pic I have to comment ;-)
Nice build! I lack the woodworking skills and tools to make such a cabinet, that's why I used mine in open baffle initially, later I built a standard ported box for them.
Compared to Tannoy 3836's I was able to buy a while back this is a rough sounding driver with a bit too much of artifical "detail" from the HF driver which has issues... the biggest being the rather extreme mechanical ringing of the metal parts inside which is impossible to damp.
The 3836 is way more polite and seems to lack dynamics in direct comparision but is much better to listen to in the long term especially at high levels, less fatigueing. It has issues too, that is, the rather narrow HF beaming whereas the Beyma has wider dispersion (created by massive diffraction, which is on purpose as the driver is intended to be used as stage monitor).
In absolute terms, the XA is still a nice driver and big fun to listen with, similar to a Harley-Davidson riding experience vs. a sleek japanese race bike.

Last edited:
Hi, thanks for posting!
Well, always short on money, now I have my imagindary Harley in the living room :)
Rough and artificial is relativ in our hobby :)
I hear no ringing...
I do not listen loud... but I do like Plini or Hanno Busch Trio or simular :)
Often I listen to acoustic instruments... piano and classical guitar...
My son comes sometimes with a new composition on logic x ... sounds good to me :)
If one has luck pairing gear, one can be satisfied...
BTW I live not far from you... near Neubrandenburg... Greets

Last edited:
Hi, now that my impressions are smoothing out... like: it has to be good... I made it...
:)
I am being more and more aware of the mids somewhere being a little honky...
Could also be my room... but I cant change that at the moment... :)
I put some cardboard with small vents in front and it sounds really better to my ears...
Oh gosh...
So, should I screw a wood board in place, cut out the inside horn, or leave it...... or make a new cabinet?
All the best!

URL]

ICG

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Das sind Lautsprecher nach meinem Geschmack! ;)

I also like your creative way to press the parts. :D

It probably doesn't make that much difference but you should replace the screws of the coils with non magnetic ones. The foam below the resistors could probably melt at higher volume. The crossover could be placed in the empty chamber below the driver (or on the back side of the speaker) to keep vibration away from it.

Are you getting some strange phase effects like voices moving around in the sound stage?

You usually do with back loaded horns like that because the reverse phase coming out of the horn interferes with what is coming out the front.That is certainly what I found with the Tannoy GRF and other back loaded horns I built.
I much preferred the same drivers in an Onken style box.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.