Dayton RS225 with passive radiator?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Good day to all!

A bloke from the Netherlands here ...

I am designing a cabinet and have 2 questions about the bass speakers.

The front design consists of 3 circles/cylinders around a narrow rectangular cabinet and in 2 of those 'cylinders' I want a Dayton RS 225 - 8 inch - 4 Ohm in series. The 3rd 'cylinder' is for a passive radiator of the same size (8 inch).

I possibly want to add 1x 10 inch PR in the left side of the cabinet and 1x 10 inch in the right side.

The total surface of 2x RS225 is 428 cm2 and the 1 + 2 PR's come to 874 cm2 so simply double and that should be good.

However, if we look at the VAS and not at the surface size it’s a different story.

The RS 225 speakers' VAS is 46 litres. Two of them come to 92 so ideally we need 184 litres (= double) from the passive radiators.

A Dayton SD 215 8 inch PR is good for only 40 litres. That means 3 of them are just 120 so a lot below the ‘required’ 184.

So, 1x SD 215 PR in the ‘cylinder’ up front and then 2 bigger ones in the side of the cabinet. The next one up in Dayton’s program is the 10 inch but it’s VAS is a whopping 110 liters! (No error here, I double checked)

That means 40 + 110 + 110 = 260 liters and I only ‘need’ 184.

My questions are:

1. Should I go for the surface area of the cones or the VAS? In case of VAS; 3 x 8 inch PR is way too little and 1 x 8 inch PR plus 2 x 10 inch PR is way too much. (?)

2. What is the min and max volume (lt) for such a cabinet with 2x RS 225?

Thank you!

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.