NorthTexasDIY Sat Feb 3, 2018 Meet and Greet

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
North Texas DIY
Presents
Korg 6P1 Nutube

Who: Pete Millett

What:

Pete Millett has agreed to be our featured guest.
Pete will bring some of the Korg 6P1 Nutubes, boards, and demos.
Perhaps a listen to a stereo, chat, compare?

Korg 6P1 Nutube: Link

When:
This Saturday, February 3, 2018.
Saturday afternoon 1pm - 2pm.

Where:

At Dallas Public Library: Skillman & Southwestern Blvd. Branch:
Website LINK
Map HERE
Directions LINK

Why:
Learn some new stuff

How:
We show up as planned.

Agenda:
* Welcome
* Introduce self to each other, interests. etc.
* Quick Discussion what we'd like to see, do?
* Introduce Pete,
* Audio Time
* Show and tell
* Wrap up

30 mins to hour total "meet, greet, show and tell."
Afterwords hang out or what ever.

Needed:
Can someone bring a video type camera and mic?
Some of the members are too far to drive in and
asked if we could post a video of it.

Last edited:
Bob Katz NuTube Test Bed

Back in early December Bob contacted me about modifying one of my boards for a NuTube device he was building. This is what he came up with.

Bob_Katz_NuTube_Testbed.JPG

Here's the first episode: Bob Katz - Bob's Nutube Processor!

I haven't seen the next installment to know how it sounds.

We had our first NorthTexasDIY Audio get together February 3, 2018 with Pete Millett presenting.

It was a nice relaxed presentation to a small group of members. Pete brought with him the Korg 6P1 Nutube, it's demo board, it's head phone amp demo board along with his head phone amp, and a small amp for speakers. Pete had two sets of headphones to listen to the AKG K701 and the Sennheiser HD600. I brought my garage sale speakers the outdoor elf-100 that we could alligator clip to Pete's little speaker amp.

We followed the Agenda starting with warm welcome then went around the room with brief introductions all around. Pete was introduced and

Pete described the 6P1 nutube and it's technology, that being an actual triode tube that was built into the common Vacuum Fluorescent Display (VFD) display by that company that invented it--Noritake of Japan and Korg the electronic music instrument maker and innovator.

Pete then described the benefits of the device and it's use and potential essentially being a small very low power triode that can be battery, USB, or other device powered and enabled. He explained that is was a real triode with a Plate (anode) grid (signal injected) and Cathode with a long life expected to be about 30,000 hours of continuous use.

We passed the boards around the room with questions, answers, and discussions.

Pete then broke out the head phones and used his Samsung mobile device as source. It was set to random play and various people tried both sets of phones. Switching back an forth between the AKG K701 and the Sennheiser HD600. Pete mention that the Samsung was just an adequate source, but not particularly high end.

After listening tests the source was changed to my iPhone. There was a difference, the apple device sounded better. I preferred the Sennheiser HD600 with both devices. Pete mentioned that his favorite headphone was the K1000 which is no longer made.

After some more discussion we hooked up the garage sale speaker via the alligator clips, then plugged my iPhone into the small speaker amplifier that Pete had and played a few songs. Those little outdoor elf-100 speakers really sounded good, Pete's amp sounded really good. Everone was stunned. After a couple of tunes it was time to depart.

Let me mention that Pete is a true gentleman and a first class guy. I don't think we could have found someone more helpful for our first GTG. Thank you Pete and everyone who showed up.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.