Free Multichannel High Res Music Downloads

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
I'm a big fan of multichannel music (and I also intent to create some), I have listened to several DVD-AUDIO multichannel songs over the years, but I just found out about the DSD format and the high-resolution audio collaboration between companies (for-profit of course) in 2014 (I think), so:

1. I'm in search of FREE high-res multichannel songs. I registered on nativedsd.com to gain access to their free songs. They offer two albums for free in various high-res formats, stereo and multichannel from 64fs to 256fs (meaning 256 x 44.1 cd sampling rate = 11.2896Mhz at 1bit).
One song I just downloaded was ...1.2GB!
One comprehensive list I found is this one: Free High Resolution Audio | Find HD music
Can you suggest/find more?

2. This page lists DSD software players that range from 8-$169 and 119/year, but there are also 11 FREE dsd players.
NativeDSD Database - Google Sheets

If you have tried some of them, which one would you suggest?

(Since I don't have special hardware, aside my PC and a 5.1 AV amp, I expect from the software player to covert and play them using what I already have.)

About hardware, according to another site "if you own an Oppo 103/105 player (it can handle the DSD64 files) or an exaSound e28 DAC (it can play everything on the list at all resolutions, including 5 Channel, Quad Rate DSD256)."

3. Is there a FREE software for multichannel editing/mixing?
I mean, for song creation, not necessarily for the DSD format.

4. Is there another high-res multichannel movement but with a FREE codec like FLAC?

Take a look at this article about multichannel high-res and producers fans of the format:
Multichannel Music and High-End DACs | Real HD-Audio

Also here is an article comparing PCM and DSD:
DSD – the New Addiction | NativeDSD Blog

Last edited:
There is also DXD, a direct competitor at 24bit/352.8 kHz!
This page has several, the upper-right one (blues) I tried, sounds awesome, but in contrast to the nativedsd.com where you can get most songs with $1, this site's prices are up to ...25times higher.
Sound Liaison Music Shop
I haven't found a free, native DXD list yet.

Here is a free sampling download page in various high-res formats, at stereo and multichannel all converted to lossless FLAC:
2L High Resolution Music .:. free TEST BENCH

BTW, I tried DSD with foobar2000 (free) which I already have installed with the help of a plugin and it works.
plugin: foobar2000: Components Repository - DSDIFF Decoder

Now the question is: Is there FREE high-res multichannel electronic music to download? :D
(I'd be interested in paid too if it's good enough).

Last edited:
Apparently, there is not much interest (like zero) in multichannel high-res music on this forum.

Some thoughts:

-Obviously, the DIY-oriented nature of the forum is a significant factor. Not every audiophile is a DIYselfer.

-Another factor might be that those who have a decent 5.1 or better setup able to reproduce multichannel music faithfully enough, are just a small part of the audiophile segment, that also happen to be home-cinephiles.

-Listening to multichannel music is not as convenient if you have to move to a different place to listen to multichannel. Personally I've made my room where I work on the PC , 5.1 too, and even a good full-range center speaker is embedded on the (wooden) desk by design (custom DIY desk that also houses a 88-key keyboard), so I don't really need to go to the living room where the home-cinema setup resides in order to listen to multichannel, I just have to move back a little.

-To appreciate multichannel high-res music, one has first to experience it and see the (big) difference (with a decent native multichannel recording and mastering of course). After that, he/she will think of multichannel as a better audio experience, provided he has a decent, convenient setup.
BTW, read this article entitled "Flat Sound Believers": Flat Sound Believers | Real HD-Audio

-The fact that only a fraction of the published music is mastered in multichannel format, is obviously a factor too, but good music is also a fraction and you need to search a lot to find it anyway, and despite the free multichannel choices are scarce, there is a lot of paid content, especially in DVD-A format, which also includes re-mastering of old songs from the past, that when a good work is done, they sound awesome in multichannel.

I bet that if there was a way to listen to multichannel as conveniently as you do with stereo in your everyday life, no one would ever preferred stereo again. That will happen one day, hopefully soon.

I've been pushing multichannel audio also but it's been falling on def ears.:)
Ild imagine that most multichannel music is in movie scores, much of the orchestral stuff actually recorded with 5 channel microphones. The trouble is getting a copy of it.

Most likely, we are alone here on this section with web-bots that are not programmed to respond about multichannel audio! :D

About the soundtracks, you can usually find whole 5.1 songs in the subtitles, but if they are not released, they might be just automatic conversions (not worth bothering). Better buy verified surround songs/albums with specific info about how they were made.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.