Do I need a sub?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,
I have Zeck PT7 amplifier and we had newyear party where I bringed my amplifier and 12" 400w rms ported car sub, friend bringed his amplifier and full range speakers.
I was very impressed by bang that my system was producing in 50m2 room.
I still need to buy fullrange speakers. Now my question is can 2 fullrange speakers produce that kind of brutal bass or will I need another amplifier and speakers or active speakers together with my sub if I want that much bass?

Thank you for help and happy new year to everyone :)

If you want "brutal bass" a sub would probably be handy ;) It depends really on the full range speakers you intend to use and the kind of music you like to listen to. Although, a sub is a good addition for any kind of music, it doesn't have to be brutal. Happy New Year :)

If you want "brutal bass" a sub would probably be handy ;) It depends really on the full range speakers you intend to use and the kind of music you like to listen to. Although, a sub is a good addition for any kind of music, it doesn't have to be brutal. Happy New Year :)

Yes, I would need it for electronic genres (mainly house), and balkan (most likely you are not familiar with it, unless you live in south Europe, this is south European music, lately becoming more and more similar to house music plus it sometimes has strong basslines, I don`t like it very much to be honest but most people out here just want to hear this commercial crap and nothing else, like 70% of people here had totaly forgotten what real music is).

I will open new thread, because I also need other general info about PA systems.

I'd use a sub.
That said, a single 12" ported car sub isn't what I'd call "brutal", so you might find some good 15" tops will do what you're after. Best way to find out is to listen - a lot of DJs just run 15" full-range speakers so find a few of those and see what you think.

Chris

I'd use a sub.
That said, a single 12" ported car sub isn't what I'd call "brutal", so you might find some good 15" tops will do what you're after. Best way to find out is to listen - a lot of DJs just run 15" full-range speakers so find a few of those and see what you think.

Chris

Maybee I was little over reacting, but everything was rattling badly and you could realy feel the bass.

How about diy box build, I`ve seen that woofer longthrow boxes. I would build 2 of them and use 15" or 18" woofer in them and some tops with 12" woofers and horns?
I would need this setup for outside also and I love bass, but have tight wallet :S

What are you opinions on that boxes?

For diy:
I can recommend the Fane Sovereign 12-250TC for tops.
It is a very good sounding, cheap, good quality and high spl fullrange.
But you will need a sub to go with them.
1 or 2 of the Fane Sovereign Pro 15-600 LF should fit nicely.

I would diy just sub(s), I will see what I can get (used) new it`s realy out of my budged as a student, I know that I will eventualy get something good, because I`m not in rush.

I doubt you can get a used top with comparable sq to the Fane Sovereign 12-250TC ($79 new).
Infact I intended to use those for my soundsystem but they are so good now I even got 2 as my main speakers.
A 36 to 45 ltr closed enclosure is not hard to build and cheap.

I`ve had a look at these speakers on youtube and as far as I can tell from the video they are realy good. You would recommend sealed rather than ported enclosure?

What would you recommend for horns?

Sealed for tops (sq), ported for sub (spl).
The Fane Sovereign 12-250TC is a 12 inch fullrange, it will go up to 18 khz. No horn/tweeter needed.

Ok, so I researched alot of different speakers, about quality and power according to price.
I found out that it well be the best for me to buy some good full range speakers (3 or/ most likely 2 way) with 15" drivers.

I tought that I could get away with cheap (150-200eur) powered sub, but I was foolish. Sub like that is rated at 1000w, but realy 100w max, it`s amp weights less than 1kg, enclosure it`s made out of thin wood and it sound`s like full range with pillow over it... this is just sad and I would never buy it.

So I will invest more money into full ranges as I have good sounding amp and I will buy good sub when I will be able to afford it. That way I will have more powerfull full ranges to start with and when I will add the sub it will be even better. At the end I will have much better system.

Sealed 10 - 12" two or more subs of around 300-500 watts is good enough for most music.

You need a big room for the deep bass to be heard.

For cost benefit I find many speaker manufacturer with high quality top of line 2 or 3 ways without transmission line or ports which sound better with the subs than their bigger models.

Watts without sensivity/spl is useless regarding speakers.
Also sealed subs won`t really work outdoor.

You don`t need a "big room for the deep bass to be heard".
If you don`t hear deep bass your subs are too weak or don`t go low enough.

Sealed 10 - 12" two or more subs of around 300-500 watts is good enough for most music.

You need a big room for the deep bass to be heard.

This is for a PA system. A couple of sealed 12"s aren't going to do anything useful.

The bit about large rooms being needed for deep bass is entirely a myth, which I'm a little saddened to see perpetuated. Headphones work. QED.

Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.