"Pop" when relay closed or open.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I made a delay circuit for my headamp with this scheme. However, there is "pop" in the headphone when the relay is closed or open. How to fix it?
(My DC offset circuit amplifies only about 5mV)
Thanks a lot.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

---
Thanks you very much for your comments.

My problem is "pop" sound when close/open relay. I have controlled relay manually (when my amplifier was stable).
I tried other types of relay, but the result is the same.

The "pop" sound loud when the relay is closed (when the headphone is connected to the amplifier) , while the relay is open, the "pop" sound is very small.

My amp is class A puss-pull, 130mA quiet current, dc offset about <5mV

---

I thinks it is the reason

are you saying that even some time after stabilising that a maual change of the isolating relays that you still hear the pop?
That would confirm that the 5mV of offset is what you are hearing.
5mV offset for a headphone amplifier is too high.
5mVac is only 36dB below 1mW into 100ohms.
a 5mV step change into 100ohms would be just as loud.
For a 95dB/mW 100ohms headphone you would hear a 5mV pop as ~ 59dB SPL.
That is too loud.
5mV offset will also pull/push the diaphragm well off centre.

If the pop is when the relay closes *and* open, then it is definitely a DC offset issue.

--
Sorry for wasting your time. (Im not mentioning from the beginning)
I'm afraid to write a lot, because my English is bad.

I will continue this topic to find more experiences of people using other popular consumer amplifiers.

I heard people say that:
- FiioA5 (psu +-11V) has not any noise when switching relay
- TrasamHa2pro (psu +-10V) has not any noise, too. But when the user replace the opamp with the Burson V5i opamp, the "pop" sound occurred.

Looking forward to your comments and experiences.
Thanks you very much!

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Just to expand on the above... if the headphone amp output is truly shorted to ground (at switch on by the relay) then depending on how the feedback is configured, the amp may not be able to correctly bias to the correct operating point.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I don't see any basic problems with the circuit shown. The amp outputs are not shorted to GND. The circuit comes from this page:

Loudspeaker Protection and Muting

With the component values shown it does require a relatively high supply voltage, which may not be available in a headphone amplifier, but that is easy to change by changing component values.

But if the amplifier has an offset, even after stabilizing the DC operating points, there will still be a pop sound at turn on and off.

I don't see any basic problems with the circuit shown. The amp outputs are not shorted to GND. The circuit comes from this page:

Loudspeaker Protection and Muting

With the component values shown it does require a relatively high supply voltage, which may not be available in a headphone amplifier, but that is easy to change by changing component values.
You right.

But if the amplifier has an offset, even after stabilizing the DC operating points, there will still be a pop sound at turn on and off.
Only if the schematic is not adapted to the supply voltage, if adapted and have rational delay there will not be "PLOP" .
In this case (but need Flacman's confirmation and details), it seems there's no adaptation, and maybe the relay never switched off (GND to headphone/speaker).

that would be silly.
Not really because it's for protect speakers.
For example , Chevin A6000 have triac for short speaker output to GND if there's DC.
Of course, for professional during a show it's better to lose the amp than the speakers. :D

Attachments

• Chevin A6000.jpg
    Chevin A6000.jpg
    623.8 KB · Views: 247
My amp's DC offset are ~5mV (i think this is verry low).

The "pop" sound loud when the relay is closed (when the headphone is connected to the amplifier) , while the relay is open, the "pop"vsound is very small.

You right.

Only if the schematic is not adapted to the supply voltage, if adapted and have rational delay there will not be "PLOP" .
In this case (but need Flacman's confirmation and details), it seems there's no adaptation, and maybe the relay never switched off (GND to headphone/speaker).
I don't know what you mean. I don't know what the word "adapted" means.
The relay in my circuit is closed/opened definitively.

Sorry for my bad English :D

Not really because it's for protect speakers.
For example , Chevin A6000 have triac for short speaker output to GND if there's DC.
Of course, for professional during a show it's better to lose the amp than the speakers. :D
I think so. Speakers/Headphone are always expensive and more important than amplifiers. Thanks a lot for your circuit, I will integrate it into my amp to increase the safety.

If you hear it exactly when it's closed, it's not possible to hear any sound, because your headphone is grounded (according to schematic) .
You have to check your circuit.
Yep. When the headphone is grounded, the "pop" sound is very small (may also be the sound of the relay's contact)
But when the headphone is connected to the amplifier, the "pop" sound is quite loud.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.