Home with NO Ground in Electrical Installation

Joined 2011
Do you mean say the condo transformer is grounded? Its a 225KVA, input in 13800V output is RTF 127V x3.

Apparently, in Brazil, there are many variations used, so I would consult a local electrician,
for safety. Even if you have three phase power, some systems do have the center grounded,
unless it's a delta system, where there is no center to tap.

Last edited:
Nope. Most appartment buildings in at least the Toronto area of any appreciable size (my building has almost 300 units) are supplied with 27.6kV to 208 three phase/120V neutral. They even have special stoves that are designed for 208V instead of 240V. I have one.

EDIT: My building is also heated electrically.
EDIT2: no stand alone homes are powered like this, they all receive 240V split phase.

Last edited:
Hi all,
My home electrical installation does not have grounding, its bi-phase 220V (127V + 127V).
What kind of grounding should my tube amp have?
Connecting all device chassies together will cut all leakage currents, can be done with grounded ( 3 prong) cables connected to a 3-prong distribution connector.
If this distribution connect is addition can be grounded is a plus. You might have a suitable ground around : possible sources :
water filled oom heaters supplied from a central source,
cable-tv screen,
if living on ground floor: a steel or metal pole stuck at least 1 meter down
tap water tube, often made by copper and well grounded
etc
but don't use any lightning arrestors !!

But as you electrical system is symmetrical around ground zero, chances are that your connected chassies are very close to zero. Interconnection of all devices will make the most effect.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Gentlebeings--

We have been through this before. This is NOT the power systems used in the US/Can, or the UK.... many systems are possible and Brazil is known to use several of them.

...does not have grounding, its bi-phase 220V (127V + 127V).....

Normally the metal shell of your clothes washer, and metal switch-covers, returns to a Protective Earth from the power company. Do you have that?

Connecting all device chassies together will cut all leakage currents, can be done with grounded ( 3 prong) cables connected to a 3-prong distribution connector. <snip>
Currently buildings have 3 pins (phase neutral ground to 127V or phase phase ground to 220V), but my condo is not this time.

The electric shower tap gave shock, then I solved the problem with a PVC pipe from shower to wall.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Metal water pipe has served me well....
...The electric shower tap gave shock, then I solved the problem with a PVC pipe from shower to wall.

He's getting shocked *by the water pipe*!

Connecting hi-fi chassis to this piping may be VERY DANGEROUS.

I wonder if you have a breakdown in the insulation of the electric shower.

I really think you should consult Expert Local Advice, not some hi-fi geeks 3000+ miles away who have never seen an electric supply such as yours.

I would agree that it would be best to check with a local expert, but would not be surprised if the answer was "that's what it is". 2 prong 240V was normal not too long ago. My grandparents home in Italy is still wired that way, albeit uninhabited and eligible for free upgrade from the utility.

So if you have to make do with what you have, you need to look at things like GFCI and/or double insulated design techniques for peace of mind with your DIY projects.

Gentlebeings--

We have been through this before. This is NOT the power systems used in the US/Can, or the UK.... many systems are possible and Brazil is known to use several of them.

Normally the metal shell of your clothes washer, and metal switch-covers, returns to a Protective Earth from the power company. Do you have that?
All power outlets in my apto have only 2 phases wires.
Afew years ago I was using an aluminium window as ground as it near the system.

I would agree that it would be best to check with a local expert, but would not be surprised if the answer was "that's what it is". 2 prong 240V was normal not too long ago. My grandparents home in Italy is still wired that way, albeit uninhabited and eligible for free upgrade from the utility.

So if you have to make do with what you have, you need to look at things like GFCI and/or double insulated design techniques for peace of mind with your DIY projects.
YOU RIGHT Here the situation is very bad, carpenters, locksmiths and electricians can not spell the alphabet.

Usually are unreliable people, especially if the client does not know the subject.

So Returning to the original question:

What grounding type/schema my tube amp should have?
Having groundless outlets on home.
Thanks for help:)

It seems that the two different common grounding systems are getting co-mingled again.
a] The Safety Ground/Protective Earth system. It's main task is to trip a circuit breaker in the event of a ground fault (short circuit). Most large exposed metal objects should be bonded (permanent connect) to this system.
b] The connection to Planet Earth. It's there for safety 1] during thunderstorms 2] high voltage failures (like if a high voltage wire falls on a low voltage wire) 3] to keep the Neutral at about the same potential as the swimming pool or damp floor.

Note the the connection to Planet Earth has nothing to do with day-to-day AC power quality.