cute patent idea

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I can model this and export an .stl file for 3d printing. Need to know what driver size it should be used for... Although I suppose with an .stl file, you could always scale it up or down in your slicer app for the driver that you want to use, if I design it for, say, a 4 driver..?

My first speakers, 1965.

Attachments

• zenith.jpg
    zenith.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 495
I'd love to have a deflector but don'w own any hot on top little fullrange speakers - most of my stuff is Karlson or horn loaded. xrk971 tested one little Dayton with rising on-axis response whose polars were improved with a K-lens so that should be a candidate for this nice looking idea. Maybe an end driven crude BLH with nestled pipes of increasing diameter could be used to augment the low end,

Well that was painful! Not so much the modeling but just trying to figure out how to share an stl file on here. Finally, I decided that Dropbox will have to do since I cannot directly share a 25KB stl file on here.

Dropbox - Hitoshi_Sango_Reflector.stl

This is modeled for a TangBand w4-1320sif driver(because that's what I had handy) but will fit any driver with a 126mm major diameter. There was no indication of height above driver given so I approximated 10mm, based on the side profile diagram in the patent papers. If this proves to be too much, the rear "shield" could always be trimmed for height. If not enough, please let me know and I'll revise the file.

at age 67 = hearing crappy for 40+ years -- but can discern differences quite readily in speakers, components, crossover changes. HD562 headphones work well with my hearing. I've thought about this stuff for 50yr so tend to concentrate a bit more perhaps than some with "better hearing". It may require an elevated listening level compared to perfect hearing.

a slow sine sweep on headphones is revealing - as dips in the hearing may be different between ears at different frequencies - there can be an effect with mono material which is like comb filtering - one gets pseudo stereo - -lol - then again a lot of mono lp uploades on YouTube appear not to be summed so there are real differences between channels.

Last edited:
Well that was painful! Not so much the modeling but just trying to figure out how to share an stl file on here. Finally, I decided that Dropbox will have to do since I cannot directly share a 25KB stl file on here.

Dropbox - Hitoshi_Sango_Reflector.stl

This is modeled for a TangBand w4-1320sif driver(because that's what I had handy) but will fit any driver with a 126mm major diameter. There was no indication of height above driver given so I approximated 10mm, based on the side profile diagram in the patent papers. If this proves to be too much, the rear "shield" could always be trimmed for height. If not enough, please let me know and I'll revise the file.

That looks great! What is the OD of the part so I can verify the scaling? In the junky software I have at work it comes out to just under 131mm, but I have low confidence in the points I picked for the measurement.

Your software is accurate--OD is 130.8mm. This number is from ID(126)+ 2x wall thickness(2.4). I used 2.4 because my ANET A8 has a nozzle size of 0.4mm and I use 3 shell layers. I'll be interested to know how it scales and, more importantly, how it sounds. I'm out of town on a gig right now so don't have access to my printer to try it out.

Hi All,
The cute-patent-idea is IMO a 'Lemon'. In the Patent only sheet 1of 3(Prior Art) contains indications of acoustic behavior that can be extrapolated from the figures.

Here is much more trustworthy Acoustic Design using Deflectors:

The article is from Speaker Builder /5 /91. `The Doals Party Speaker`.

b :)

Attachments

• 1_Doals.JPG
    1_Doals.JPG
    171.5 KB · Views: 184
  • 2_Doals.JPG
    2_Doals.JPG
    222.5 KB · Views: 186
  • 3_Doals.JPG
    3_Doals.JPG
    256.2 KB · Views: 179
  • 4_Doals.JPG
    4_Doals.JPG
    204.8 KB · Views: 182
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.