source select panel mount switches (nice ones!)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi all, looking for some nice small panel mounting momentary switches.

gotta have a "flange" to hide the likely slightly ugly hole.

ideally i want something like this:

sourcingmap(R) 3Pcs DC 36V 2A Panel Mounting NO: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

but much smaller. thats a 12mm panel cutout.. im after something 6-8mm diameter.

ive searched online but the only switches of that size tend to be these ugly ones:

5Pcs AC250V 1A SPST 2Pin 1NO Momentary Push Button Switch for Doorbell: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

which a) are plastic and b) have a nut and washer on the front.. not very sleek.

whole case and all controls are currently silver/brushed aluminium.. id like to stick to the theme.

Last edited:
im very surprised nobody has jumped in with a suggestion.. how do you guys deal with panel pushbuttons? do you all use ugly ones, or big ones?

i do find it conceivable (after trawling the internet) that nice, small, metal pushbuttons just dont, for whatever reason, exist.

quite frustrating though. i guess im just going to have to go for the 12mm jobbies. its a shame cos im already using one for the power switch.. visually id like the other controls to be smaller, but hey ho.. if they dont exist, i cant use em!

Joined 2004
Paid Member
robinlawrie:

This may not be much help, but I've been using a different approach for source selection switches on my projects. I like long bat switches but don't want to see any mounting hardware on the exterior of my enclosures, so I mount the switches to a small piece of metal, have a cavity installed on the inside face of the front panel to accommodate the barrel and nut of the switch and then mount that metal plate to the inside face of the front panel. The idea is to have as clean a front panel as possible. I've attached a few photos to give you an idea.

Regards,
Scott

Attachments

• Front Exterior View.JPG
    Front Exterior View.JPG
    130.2 KB · Views: 132
  • Front Panel Switch Detail.JPG
    Front Panel Switch Detail.JPG
    273.5 KB · Views: 133
  • Jamie's Amp - Front Perspective_2 (all lit).jpg
    Jamie's Amp - Front Perspective_2 (all lit).jpg
    225.2 KB · Views: 143
  • SG-4 Front Panel (Final).jpg
    SG-4 Front Panel (Final).jpg
    279.7 KB · Views: 137
Thanks! Thats a very neat solution, minimal and professional. I assume you have cnc facilities to do that beautiful machining of the front plate. There would be my limitation! Im pretty much limited to a hand drill here, pillar drill if i ask someone nicely. Thats why i was after switches with a bezel.

This fpd file of which you speak.. Im intrigued. Another whole subject i never knew existed. software specific to laying out front panels i assume... Exports to cnc hardware?

Joined 2004
Paid Member
robinlawrie:

Yes, Front Panel Design is a simple CAD program made available by Front Panel Express. FPE has facilities in Germany and the US. You use their software to design front and rear panels. They can supply the aluminum, but since I buy my enclosures from HiFi2000 (either directly or through diyaudio's store), I ship the panels to FPE. That lowers the cost but, even so, FPE is not cheap. That said, they will drill, etch and color to your exact specifications and the result is as good as your design aesthetic.

I've attached a sample .fpd file which provides both an example of how I mount toggle switches and also a nice "power" symbol (as a macro). The momentary switch I typically use is sourced from mouser.com, and is Mountain switch number 108-0005-EVX (see Mouser Electronics). I use this switch or its latching counterpart (108-0027-EVX) quite often. I have no affiliation with FPE other than as a satisfied customer.

Regardless of whether you end up using FPE, I urge you to check them out.

Regards,
Scott

Attachments

• SG-4 Front Panel v9.zip
    1.3 KB · Views: 32
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.