• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Replacing Original GK1 Tubes / Recommendations and Sources?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I need to replace the original (from 2003!!, with heavy use one has died) 6ES8 tubes in my GK-1. So, what tubes work well in the GK-1 (I've read the old Audio Circle tread from 2004)?

BTW, my AKSA amps (some pre-date the GK-1) are all running sweet and clean. I am still listening to Linkwitz Orions (with Don Naples' recommended mods to the Analog Signal Processor, a huge improvement BTW) driven by 4 x 100w AKSA (woofers), 2 x 55w AKSA Life Force (midrange) and 2 x 25w AKSA Life Force (tweeters... the 25w amps are 55w Life Force at lower rail voltage).

Every time I turn this rig on and listen to the music I think warmly of Hugh, Jens, stvnharr (I still use Master Set speaker placement... that's huge, THANK YOU) for all your help.

So, gentlemen, where can I find some good tubes for my GK-1?

Take care,
Pete

I need to replace the original (from 2003!!, with heavy use one has died) 6ES8 tubes in my GK-1. So, what tubes work well in the GK-1 (I've read the old Audio Circle tread from 2004)?

BTW, my AKSA amps (some pre-date the GK-1) are all running sweet and clean. I am still listening to Linkwitz Orions (with Don Naples' recommended mods to the Analog Signal Processor, a huge improvement BTW) driven by 4 x 100w AKSA (woofers), 2 x 55w AKSA Life Force (midrange) and 2 x 25w AKSA Life Force (tweeters... the 25w amps are 55w Life Force at lower rail voltage).

Every time I turn this rig on and listen to the music I think warmly of Hugh, Jens, stvnharr (I still use Master Set speaker placement... that's huge, THANK YOU) for all your help.

So, gentlemen, where can I find some good tubes for my GK-1?

Take care,
Pete

Pete,
Call Andy at the below link. Think about what you want, 6922, 7308, etc., if you want fancier tubes. Vintage Tube Services - High End Audio & Guitar Amplifier

If you just want 6ES8's you can just search on google or look at tubedepot, or even ask Hugh as he has lots.

BTW, the new Maya amps are way better than your old LF amps.

Steve

Steve, if 6922s & 7308s can be used just as well as 6ES8s ... what advantages do they bring to the table?

Thanks,
Andy

A slightly sweeter sound.
Years ago when I got the fancy tubes I had Hugh up for a test listen between the stockers and the 7308's I'd purchased from Andy. We could tell a difference, though in honesty it was slight.
But like almost all things in audio, it's wanting the very best if you are capable of doing it

Hi Peter,

Good to hear you are still going strong :)

Steve is right on the money, go to Vintage Tube Services. I believe I purchased my matched set of Siemens Gold Pin 6922s there many years ago, and they are still running beautifully in my GK-2 (same output stage as the original GK-1). Very good tube, but often somewhat hard to get and quite pricey!

I believe Hugh originally supplied standard Philips 6DJ8 tubes with my GK-1, and they were not half bad at all :)

Cheers,

Jens

Steve,
"BTW, the new Maya amps are way better than your old LF amps."

... no doubt!! Hugh is a gifted and restless innovator, and I'm sure that he's made a lot of progress in the 10+ years since I finished the last amp. In my current system I would have 8 amp channels to replace, and I'm fairly sure that the my amps aren't the dominant problem in my current rig.

Maybe a thought for our cabin though... I've got a nice pair of small monitors at our cabin for close-up listening that could benefit from a killer amp... as usual, you've got me thinking... / Pete

Peter,

Very nice to see you.... your interest in audio is still strong, are you now in retirement?
The best way to ask about this is: 'Do you find yourself much busier these days?'

I am almost run out of the original 6ES8, I'd selected them on a hunch all those years ago, wanting variable mu frame grid tubes, but now I'm beginning to realise the 6DJ8, 6922 and 7308 are all VERY good in this role. The gold pin Siemens 7308 is the most expensive of them, but any RCA, Sylvania and Philips 6DJ8 are also outstanding. I believe the 6922 was released over 20 years ago - recent for tubes - and I suspect it's European, perhaps Tesla.

I find that a twitch of the base pins on these tubes is needed about every year to prevent oxidation due to the thermal cycling. In these low emission duties in the GK1 they should last at least 15 years. The 6DJ8 was used in many Tek scopes, and many of them are running well forty years later!

Cheers,

Hugh

Back to GK-1 Tubes: Thanks for all the info. I really like the overall sound of my current tubes (before one died)... the system really does/did sound like live un-amplified music on most recordings. If I was to make any change it would be a slight move toward more resolution, but I wouldn't want to move very far from the musicality I currently enjoy.

The current tubes are marked in three rows:
CV5331 (in large print)
Holland

With this info, what would you recommend? Since the GK-1 is easy on tubes, I'm OK paying more for excellent performance.

Pete

Hi Hugh,
Yes, I'm retired, and yes, I am way WAY busy. Equal mix of grandkids, and "doing science", (with a little well-chosen travel here and there), now working (on a boss-free volunteer basis) on water quality (as influenced by nutrients and weather) in small inland lakes. It's a crazy-hard problem (very dynamic, a huge number of variables) but I figure that I've probably got at least 10 yr of brains left (before they find me wandering on the road north of town)... so I'm having a great time. And how you doing?

Pete

Peter,

The CV5331 is a Brimar, British Milspec released during the cold war.
They are very, very good, based on the Mullard as I understand, and I could recommend them again IF you can find them in the States. I'm pretty sure Chelmer Valve Company in UK, but they are expensive there and likely much cheaper in the US.

I'm fine after five years since the AAA, though only firing on 7 cylinders. I run out of breath in heavy lifting. But I'm alive, I enjoy my life, can mow the lawn, and can still think OK. I'm working hard on my weight at present, but impeded by fluid retention. I am not yet taking diuretics, so there is quite a ways yet thankfully.

I have found that talking to strangers very helpful to getting back to fluent speech.

I worry about the pollution of fresh water in our planet, inevitably we will all have to dismount Earth and move to another when we have dirtied our own!

Cheers,

Hugh

Pete,
I've done some simple searching and have come up with some links for you to look at to get an idea of what your choices might be.

If you want to go with just a low cost standard replacement, then tubestore or tubedepot has 6es8's for under $10 ea.
The first link below is for NOS 6es8. There are several choices and various price ranges. I've never bought from the vendor but they do offer a lot of tubes.
The 6es8 is not a common tube and choices are limited.

However, the 6DJ8 family has lots of choices, and they can get pricey in a hurry. You can look at the links to get an idea. I can vouch for Andy at vintage tube services as I bought from him a dozen or so years ago. He has a lot beyond the pdf list and likes a chat. He only does business on the phone too.

6es8

6922 Philips
6922 Amperex

http://vintagetubeservices.com/wp-c...ster-Stock-List-Common-Small-Signal-Tubes.pdf

Lastly, I have found that spending a lot of money on tubes for the GK-1 is not really the best value. Though then again I found the 7308's I got from Andy to be a little bit nicer sounding than the original. I recall that I spent $65 ea. on the tubes. They were Amperex and look nice.
The NOS 6es8 choice has intrigued me as that might represent a good value if the tube price is not over the top. It's what Hugh designed the circuit to use and perhaps the NOS ones may offer some value over the $6 ones. But I never did buy any so cannot offer anything more than that opinion.

Start saving for a pair of Maya modules. They would be good value with the W22E drivers in your Orions.

Steve

Thanks to all of you for your quick, helpful, and friendly help. I'll get busy following up leads, let you know what I ended up buying, and how it sounds.

I feel like I've been to a reunion of old friends, minus the beer and colorful surroundings of course. / Pete

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.