3 channel amp with woofer output ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am getting ready to buy a 3 channel amp with woofer output. Will I still need a crossover?

The amp is 2x50 watts x100 watt sub and I plan on putting 3 @ 5watts speakers on each channel and a 50 watt sub all speakers are 8 ohm so the amp will be putting out half . So will I be alright with the speaker load? I always heard it was better to have more amp

Thanx for the reply. This is for a bluetooth column speaker build that I am doing here is a diagram with specs. I believe if I wire the 3 @20 ohm speakers parallel that I should end up with 5 ohms, correct me if I am wrong

Attachments

• speaker wiring diagram.jpg
    speaker wiring diagram.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 141
You need a crossover, a high pass for the sub and a high pass for the satellites (*). This amp is basically simply 2 amps into one package: one amp for a stereo output and one amp bridged for a mono output.
As far as load, 3x 20 Ohm drivers connected in parallel are equivalent to a single 20/3= 6.7 Ohm load (forgetting about the fact that a driver is not a pure resistive load, and also that I've never seen a 20 Ohm driver).

Ralf

(*) If you plan to run the 3 drivers in parallel without any low pass filter, be aware that this is not a good idea because of comb filtering when the inter distance between the drivers is more that the wave length involved.

You need a crossover, a high pass for the sub and a high pass for the satellites (*). This amp is basically simply 2 amps into one package: one amp for a stereo output and one amp bridged for a mono output.
As far as load, 3x 20 Ohm drivers connected in parallel are equivalent to a single 20/3= 6.7 Ohm load (forgetting about the fact that a driver is not a pure resistive load, and also that I've never seen a 20 Ohm driver).

Ralf

(*) If you plan to run the 3 drivers in parallel without any low pass filter, be aware that this is not a good idea because of comb filtering when the inter distance between the drivers is more that the wave length involved.

Thanx for the reply, so it sounds like I need three crossovers one for each channel.

Yeah I never heard of 20 ohm speakers either but I have seen. 40 and 60 ohm speakers

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I have several amp boards similar to this one, tho not this exact model. Most have a low pass filter built in for the sub. You will know if this one does just by listening to it.

The main problem with the various boards is that although the amps are fine, the Bluetooth is super noisy. I hope yours is better.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.