Checking PWM signal on Class-D amps using IRS21844S problems

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am trying to test functionality on a few amps that use the IRS21844s without risking damaging the output Transistors and I am not having much luck. Hopefully somebody can clear up how to do this because I can't seem to get it to work as described.

On amps that use the IRS21844s without any driver transistors between it and the output FETs I have tried removing the rectifiers, left the output fets in the circuit. Powered up pins 11(negative) and 13 (positive) with a 9v battery. Played a 100hz sine wave at high volume (not clipped) with the gain a good ways up, but I see nothing useable at the output FETs. I have tried this on amplifiers I know are working as well and still dont see anything that resembles a square wave or 100hz at the gate legs of the outputs.

On driver cards that use drivers (A1715/C2814) between the 21844 and the outputs, I have connected a 10K resistor across pins 6+7 (pins 1+2 are not used) of the TL072, and again played a 100hz signal into the amplifier at high volume. I see nothing that resembles a clean square wave or 100hz at the gate legs of the output transistors.

What am I missing? Id really like to find a way to check the circuit up until the outputs without risking them before I power it up fully with new outputs installed and risk them exploding.

I believe you are misunderstanding class D theory. Once the signal has been compared with the ramp/triangle, no more audible signal until following the output filter. In fact, the signal itself disappears, it is "mixed" inside the square one. Take a reading at this pdf.

Attachments

• Class D Audio 03.pdf
    281.8 KB · Views: 148
I believe you are misunderstanding class D theory. Once the signal has been compared with the ramp/triangle, no more audible signal until following the output filter. In fact, the signal itself disappears, it is "mixed" inside the square one. Take a reading at this pdf.

It's my understandinng that with these amps, if you drive a strong 50-100hz signal into the amplifier with no rail voltage present you should see a square wave of that frequency at the gates of the FETs.

On the amp I'm working on right now (4x 21844's, no driver transistors between the driver card and outputs) there is a 4.6v 2Khz square wave from the LM211. The same 2Khz wave is seen at the input to the 21844's, but at a much lower 740mV.

When a 100HZ signal is played I see square waves of the same voltages, but they have varying duty cycles so it appears as a bunch of overlapping square waves on my scope. This seems normal though correct?

If you are not driving too much signal into the amp, you should see audio on the output of the TL072 with the 10k resistor installed.

That feeds the LM211 which will produce a square wave of the same frequency (100Hz) that swings ±5v.

The output of the LM211 drives an emitter follower pair. You should have the same square wave on the emitters of that pair.

There should be no modulation.

You can shut down the driver ICs (may be interfering) by shorting Q10(?) collector to emitter). The emitter will be connected to the negative rail. The collector will drive the control pins of the 21844s.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.