SAL Full Range Drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Last edited by a moderator:
The amp wouldn't have sounded as nice without the especially nice speakers.
Having said that, it was a resistively loaded Class A amp, so as such it probably didn't have a phenomenal damping factor. It still sounded rather nice with the extra-special drivers in the not-so-special closed box, which might have tightened the bass up somewhat. For such small drivers, there was an impressive amount of bass for such a large room. I took pains to test it with a track that I use to check such things...

Thanks to Papa for his indulgence..

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Yes, the SAL drivers deserve to be heard. For this reason I'm planning to sell them through diyAudio. The details are being worked out and there should be a few available in about 3 weeks.

As more people order them, Frank from Scandinavian Audio Labs will ramp up production, but they are assembled by hand so don't lend themselves to fast production, and aren't cheap.

I'll keep you informed as to how it's going. They really are special, for one thing they actually have some Xmax, so bass even without any added bass driver. They are designed for open baffle use and I haven't heard that yet but it should be pretty impressive.

I think Nelson will post his discoveries regarding the driver when they are available. It would be cool if a library of designs became available to try once you have a pair of drivers

Update:
Drivers are available here:
https://diyaudiostore.com/collections/loudspeaker-drivers/products/sal-08c08-loudspeaker-drivers

Last edited:
Yes, the SAL drivers deserve to be heard. For this reason I'm planning to sell them through diyAudio. The details are being worked out and there should be a few available in about 3 weeks.

As more people order them, Frank from Scandinavian Audio Labs will ramp up production, but they are assembled by hand so don't lend themselves to fast production, and aren't cheap.

I'll keep you informed as to how it's going. They really are special, for one thing they actually have some Xmax, so bass even without any added bass driver. They are designed for open baffle use and I haven't heard that yet but it should be pretty impressive.

I think Nelson will post his discoveries regarding the driver when they are available. It would be cool if a library of designs became available to try once you have a pair of drivers

I need a pair of these! Let me know when they are available :D

A couple of pairs are in the store:

Scandinavian Audio Labs SAL 08C08 (Pair) – diyAudio Store

Papa Pass should soon have some info on the simple boxes he has them in , and any filters he uses.
I think sealed .75 cu.ft. Cabs from Parts Express and will have an open baffle design at some point.

Probably should start a new thread I guess..
Damn! The timing sucks, I'm trying to buy a house this summer, so no spare money for audio awesomeness :( :(

Last edited by a moderator:
diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I've been answering questions about the Scandinavian Audio Labs driver (they only have one model ATM which simplifies things) on the Burning Amp thread, but I think it's time to spin it off into its own topic.

The reason it came up on that thread was that Nelson Pass had brought a pair to the last 2 Burning Amp Festivals, mounted in a simple smallish box, so a lot of people have heard them. The opinions are quite positive - including from Mr. Pass. I've heard them too and like them a lot. They have the coherence that full range drivers have along with an unusual amount of xmax so actually have some bass, and the upper frequencies aren't "shouty".

I wanted a pair, and they aren't distributed in the US so I decided we'd import them in the diyAudio store. Frank from SAL makes them by hand in Denmark and I feel good that we can support something that deserves more attention.

Last edited:
The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Attached is my MLSSA measurement of the most recent SAL drivers in
my SLOBs. Crossover is at 160 Hz (1 pole for the SAL), and I have applied
some baffle step of -4dB @ 2.5 Khz.

Response curve is about as good as you get with a FR driver. They are a
little less efficient than most of the top rank FR's, but for that you get more
bottom end in a sealed box, so they combine some of the virtues of the
SEAS Exotic bottom with some of the air of a Lowther / Feastrex / Voxative.

Excellent articulation and spatial presentation. They do well in either a box
or OB, and I think that they are an excellent value.

I have a DIY active OB crossover with EQ for it, and plan to offer it as a
kit in the store.

Attachments

• SAL RESP.gif
    SAL RESP.gif
    6.8 KB · Views: 1,972
Last edited:
The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Going through my files I found a pair of passive crossover
networks I worked up in March 2016 for the SALs in the OB
with the Eminence 15's.

The pc artwork for the active filters is about done, and a
partial kit will be available through the store.

Attachments

• SAL8 OB PASSIVE.gif
    SAL8 OB PASSIVE.gif
    11.9 KB · Views: 1,877
  • SAL8 OB PASSIVE W FILTER.gif
    SAL8 OB PASSIVE W FILTER.gif
    16.2 KB · Views: 1,876
diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
That's the appeal, since SAL only makes one model, everyone has the same driver so when one of us comes up with an idea, others can unbolt their drivers and try it, or a variant, and then give an opinion, or measurements...whatever.

I believe the boxes Papa used were .75 cu. ft., and I assume sealed looking at the T-S parameters, but to hear him tell it he went into his garage and there were pair of speaker cabinets that looked "about right". He popped the drivers in and it sounded so good he never tried another box. Maybe a 1.0 cu.ft. Cabinet is "better" Get out your box calc programs!

Last edited:
Attached is my MLSSA measurement of the most recent SAL drivers in
my SLOBs. Crossover is at 160 Hz (1 pole for the SAL), and I have applied
some baffle step of -4dB @ 2.5 Khz.

Response curve is about as good as you get with a FR driver. They are a
little less efficient than most of the top rank FR's, but for that you get more
bottom end in a sealed box, so they combine some of the virtues of the
SEAS Exotic bottom with some of the air of a Lowther / Feastrex / Voxative.

Excellent articulation and spatial presentation. They do well in either a box
or OB, and I think that they are an excellent value.

I have a DIY active OB crossover with EQ for it, and plan to offer it as a
kit in the store.

Thanks, this is encouraging.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.