New 15" full range - FANE

should be fun for OB - good alternative to Nirvana and vintage such as EV SP15B- be nice if Fane would work out a version with 80-109oz magnet

- wonder if Fane mis-labeled their response graph of sealed 75 l vs 80 l /55Hz tuned vented box ? https://www.fane-international.com/images/FC-152F01TC-BASS.jpg

it would work in a sealed or aperiodic vent rear chamber Karlson type

its cone looks about the same as the old Eminence Beta15cx with similar Mms

and it appears to use the DOUBLE whiizzer cone as with their 12" FR

OyyjaJw.jpg

Last edited:
fullrange lovers/users seem to ignore holes in power response - speaker's with "helper tweeters" often have a pretty big hole in the midrange. Timbre shifts (sitting close) going off-axis can be noticeable with a 6 inch fullrange compared to a small woofer two-way with dome tweeter. IIRC, things like Danley's Unity sound coherent within a decent window.

Note the Qts. I think this'd be a lot of fun for a relatively compact open baffle system. One of those run wide-open plus another 15" to reinforce the lower-midrange and bass would be a very quick and easy system. Single inductor for the crossover, job done.

You could add a supertweeter if desired, too.

Chris

Look @ the dreadful off axis response. Up to -20dB in the critical mid voice section. And generally not good from 1kHz upwards either ! Seems like it might be ok for guitars though :D

I am not sure what the off axis response is measured at in degrees, but my faulty memory suggests 45°. Though even if it's 30° it's quite good for a 15" imo.

At any rate, it looks like a very decent mid if you xo at 0,7-1khz. I've been looking for a single mid with this sensitivity.

Hmmm... At 100 liters sealed you are just over 100db at 100hz, 99,38 at 80hz.

Just tried a "silly mode" 200 liter thing here, group delay at 30 hz is just over 9 msec which is great! Not a ton of output down below, but reasonable roll off at 30hz -10db smooth down from around 70hz 0db.

Maybe this really is a fullrange?
Xmax 3,5mm seems like a lot for a 15" fullrange with this sensitivity. They must have worked a bit to get these numbers.

Attachments

• Fane FC-152F01TC.jpg
    Fane FC-152F01TC.jpg
    369.8 KB · Views: 6,078
Last edited:
Sorry about the bump!

Found it in another Fane datasheet, it says: "Half space response measured in a 965 Litre sealed box. Blue Line = fundamental 45° off-axis."

Example:
https://www.fane-international.com/downloads/FaneColossus12BDS040714.pdf

I will assume they use the same methods of measurement to all drivers. It seems they write this in all the Pro series units, for some reason they skip that sentence in many of the sovereign data sheets?

Yes indeed!
I was thinking this driver would be a perfect match for a super budget setup, if you build my simulation with reasonably braced 15mm OSB, get some rockwool leftovers and a bit of felt from an construction site, power it with a TDA7297, use your smartphone as a source and also just do simple "pad down" eq'ing you have a insanely cheap setup that is flat from 40hz up at 95db/2,83v!

I am very excited about this driver.

Wow... I thought I had the same driver, at first glance. But nope, there are little differences.

This one is made in Taiwan. Not exactly the same, but quite similar in some ways.

I am using it in OB, as the low end woofer. I tried it as a fullrange, but it drops way too fast around 9kHz. The supplied FR is a little enthusiastic showing more output higher up... in reality, it doesn't go that high.

Attachments

• 21608878594198_696.jpg
    21608878594198_696.jpg
    354.9 KB · Views: 1,958
  • 21608878594198_843.jpg
    21608878594198_843.jpg
    233.4 KB · Views: 1,675
I think this Fane would play "ok" in a Karlson K15. A bit "ripe" on the low end so the lowpass gap and vent area might be reduced until transients sound decent. I've run the higher Q EV SP15B form the 1950's in K15 and it was enjoyable. A helper tweeter might be added on a bracket.

I keep hearing good things about the 12", but I have not heard it myself (not that my ears are worth much these days).

Big drivers are fun, And the Fane 12" and now also 15" is very interesting in combination with some extra 2x12" or maybe 2x15" for low freq oomph. But I am still evaluating options for my next build and it is very hard to ignore the Seas FA22RCZ possibly in combination with the A26RE4, the data is just too good. Though the sensitivity is not comparable to the fane, the FA22RCZ can play flat to 30hz completely alone in a 144 liter enclosure. A possibillity is making a sort of WFW setup with the FA22RCZ with 2 x A26RE4, but the same is also possible with the Fane 15" sandwiched between two other 15"s, the total cost of parts will probably be about the same after taxes, import and shipping is calculated. There will be a difference in material cost also so it's a tough choice.

the 12 is quite good - had it in a slit vent Karlson 12 with slits damped - no low bass, no boom, no midrange "artifacts" - -upper treble "papery" (and beaming as expected) I also had it in the Karlsonator 12 where it played pretty deep and strong. - I should have experimented with damping to see how flat I could get it as the Karlsonaotor only had fluffed polyfil in its stub and one piece of bonded Dacron on the floor of the cabinet. If would be nice if Fane made a stronger motor version of the 12.

the Fane 15 might be fun open baffle with two Goldwood GW1858 - that would get it to 32Hz - (Goldwood might be a bit "fat" sounding)

12"
http://i.imgur.com/87jTAYp.jpg

Last edited: