Anyone know the differences between the original ncore nc models and the new MP line?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

ICG

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
The Hypex NCxxxMP amps are improved in THD, IMD, noise, efficiency and current drive ability. MP stands for multi-pronged, some of the optimizing happened by combining the amp and SMPS to one unit. It especally improves the maximum power specs because of the matching of PS and amp.

ICG

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Well, that depends. It's not necessarily a wrong statement since the modules are not 1:1 interchangeable and DO have different specs. Firstly, it depends on which modules/amps you actually compare with each other. Secondly, Nord combines SMPS's, amp modules and input modules as well in different combinations Hypex themselves do, therefore the specs differ aswell ofcourse, so the claims probably found on completely different amp configurations or even completely different amps. That said, neither provide information on which circumstances these specs were measured, so these datas aren't compareable in the first place. And finally, there are the 'Nord UP' amps, tuned and modified, but they don't use the MP boards for it. So it might be the MP boards reach almost the level of the NC-tuned boards.

But the most important thing is, the 90% statement refers not to the MP boards, it compares the 20x more expensive 'world class amps' to the Nord amps, NOT the NC amps to the NCxxxMP amps!

I received an email ad from Nord for the new MP module amps and he states this:

"Introducing the new Nord MP range. From a Stereo 250W & 500W to an 8 Channel 250W with 90% of the SQ of the NC500 from £749 Based on Hypex NCore NC252MP & NC502MP modules."

So it seems he is indeed saying that the new MP based amps are "90% of the sound quality" of the nc modules. It seems to me that the MP modules must be a cheaper, lesser performing module, which is at odds with your statement above that they spec better....

ICG

Disabled Account
Joined 2007

"Introducing the new Nord MP range. From a Stereo 250W & 500W to an 8 Channel 250W with 90% of the SQ of the NC500 from £749 Based on Hypex NCore NC252MP & NC502MP modules."

So it seems he is indeed saying that the new MP based amps are "90% of the sound quality" of the nc modules. It seems to me that the MP modules must be a cheaper, lesser performing module, which is at odds with your statement above that they spec better....

Here (half way down the page) they claim they perform 95% of the NC SQ. If they are toning it down now, maybe because of the probable loss of revenue?
To clear that up: The statement on the MP board stats improvement comes from Hypex itself, not from Nord. And Nord states several different times the percentage difference, which is confusing to say the least. It's not unusual for newer boards to perform better, more efficient and being produced cheaper. I've heard some Hypex amps and they did perform excellent, I haven't heard a Nord amp in comparison to the Hypex version though.

Nord is a company ;) you know; they must make profit.
Rule 1: cheaper sounds less :)
Everything else comes second...

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member

I read that such that for 749 UKP they get 90% of the old one, which surely cost more than 10% more!

Jan

I have been looking at hypex for quite a while and the Nord offerings. The greatest difference may be that the nc500 based amps have no buffer and need either the Base hypex one or a Nord board with swappable buffers. Given the hypex amps are designed to be sonic signature transparent then maybe the greatest difference will be the buffers

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

OP- You got the wrong end of the stick with what Nord are saying.

They are comparing NCxxxMP as 90% of what the full house new NC500 OEM modules can do. Not comparing it with the old NC400. They state separately that their NC500, with own design input buffer is their top line for performance.

Apollon have just launched their own input buffer for their NC500 products, using the same SparkoS Labs discrete regulators/opamps as Nord.

The question should be, how much better are the NCxxxMP modules than the old NC400, as I have seen it claimed that they are. :)

Edit: Note the NCxxxMP and NC500 modules are only available to trade customers, the NC400 modules are still available to the public on Hypex's new DIY website. They have split the comercial/DIY sites to stop the confusion as to what is available.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.