Parasound HCA-1200 schematic ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Tony seems to be pretty quick about the schematics. I just bought an HCA-3500 and he had schematics to me within a couple of hours. Heck of an amp for only $850 used. The parts alone would cost 3x that to buy!

One thing I'd be curious about Promitheus--Is the supply capacitance in the amp / on the schematic the same, and does it match up with Parasound's claims? I was a little surprised when I got the HCA-3500 to find only 66000uF per channel instead of the ~98000uF Parasound claims on the website and in the manual..

Yup.. I added them all up and sure enough, it came within a few uF of the quoted figure. Nice marketing gimmick, and it clears up one of the difference between the JC-1 and the 3500 I'd wondered about before I bought the 3500. Using Parasound's quoted figures the claim for twice the capacitance Mr. Crump and yourself had mentioned was always confusing. Time to tack in my stack of el-cheapo Teapo caps.

Considering the high quality parts and great design, it's a steal. At $200 for the outputs, $300 for the trannies, $300 for the caps, having it all assembled into an amp with PCBs and other parts and a chassis for $800 was a deal.

POOGE time? :)

I'm a little confused as to what IC101 does, myself. It is part of the 'housekeeping circuitry' added by the manufacturer in Taiwan. It appears to sense any incoming DC from the source preamp, amplify it, and then send it to the protection network. I can't say how the grounding appears to be connected. Usually the driver ground is the same as the main power supply ground at some point.
Many people think that I directly work for Parasound, but this is not true. I am a consultant, who gives them the specific topology and some of the necessary parts to be used, BUT I don't design the amp entirely. Housekeeping, power supplies, remote control, little blinking lights ;-) are not what I do. Someone in Taiwan does this. I even refrain from repairing these units if I can avoid it, and send it back to Tony at Parasound.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.