Alter cabinet dimensions for a Classix II build?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey,

I'm new to Speaker building and about to put together my second pair of speakers. I've set my mind on Paul Carmody's Classix II. I like the simplicity of the cabinet bu would like to change the dimensions slightly. I trow together some rough blueprints in sketchup to make sure I would stick to about the same volume. It's no huge changes but the baffle is slightly more narrow and the drivers have been moved. Would this change (decrease) the intended sound for the speakers?

Original
classic_org.jpg

Narrow Baffle
classic_narrow.jpg

Thanks!

Hi,

My understanding is that the cabinet width should not be changed - it should remain 8.5" as the designer has specified. Change in cabinet width might affect the lower frequency performance, as the baffle step compensation in XO has been calculated for 8.5". Increasing the distance between drivers will increase their center-to-center distance, and that can affect the integration between the woofer and tweeter, so better to keep distance between drivers and tweeter distance from the top the same as the original design.

If you do change, it should be ok to change the height by a couple of inches and adjust the depth accordingly or vice versa.

Maybe sreten's comment wasn't clear enough, so I'll rephrase it.
If you want to increment the baffle height, do it under the woofer, and leave tweeter position in respect to the above boundaries the same as before. If you add 1" above the tweeter you will significantly change the diffraction effect, and since this is a "well thought" design I bet the change won't be for the best.

Ralf

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.