Multiple bass drivers in single sealed enclosure...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
One of the things that's not clear to me is the effect of using multiple drivers in a single sealed cabinet.

I was thinking of using multiple 8" seas or scanspeak woofers in a sealed cabinet, and I'd like to know what the effect is, and also which values I should divide or multiply when using calculation sheets.

Is there also something available that replicates a Linkwitz transform circuit but then "off the shelve"?

Furthermore, If I buy a Behringer EMC8000 Mic, which preamp should I use to interface with my computer...is a M-Audio Duo USB up to the task?

Regards,

Richard

Assuming that

a is the number of elements that are connected in series, electrically,
b is 1 for normal configuration 2 for isobaric configuration and
n is the total number of elements,

Vas1=Vas*n/(b^2)
Bl1=Bl*a
Sd1=Sd*n/b
Re1=Re*a^2/n
Le1=Le*a^2/n

Isobarik mounting meaning mounted in pairs, no more. Index 1 are the new values.

richardkrol said:

Furthermore, If I buy a Behringer EMC8000 Mic, which preamp should I use to interface with my computer...is a M-Audio Duo USB up to the task?

Regards,

Richard

Have this combo and it works great with a laptop. But I can’t manage the USB duo to work higher than 16 bits @ 48 kHz under Win2K with my measurement software (Audiotester and Sample Champion).

If you want to connect the mic to a regular build in soundcard buy a low cost Behringer mixing console with phantom power like the UB820.

Cheers ;)

Thanks all !

Does that mean that say with two drivers a lower f3 point can be had and/or that the excursion of the driver is less for the same spl..?

As for the M-audio duo usb, I am running mac osx. what I like about this unit is that it can interface with the pc and work as a standalone preamp / converter.

regards,

Richard

richardkrol said:
Thanks all !

Does that mean that say with two drivers a lower f3 point can be had and/or that the excursion of the driver is less for the same spl..?

regards,

Richard

With two drivers in a double-sized box, the frequency response will be the same. The maximum output will be +6dB, alternatively, the cone amplitude is halved for a given level.

With two drivers in the *same* box (as you had for the one driver) F3 will *increase*, since Vas is doubled. How much it increases depends on the Vas/Vb ratio.

Timn8ter said:
Vas and Sd double. Depending how they are wired Le will halve in parallel, double in series. Generally this means a doubling of the cross-sectional area. SPL is +6 in parallel, unchanged in series.

Can you reconcile that with the info in this thread? http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=29285

I would think the SPL would increase by 3db, not 6. Perhaps I need the Dummies (tm) explanation of SPL and sensitivity.

Also, 'splain this to me if you can: I have MTM speakers (Lynn Olson Ariels) that use two mid/bass units with rated sensitivity of 88 and a tweeter that's rated at 90. The cross-over has resistors in it to pad down the tweeter. How can that be? The measured response is nice and flat. I can't reconcile those numbers.

Dave Jones said:
Also, 'splain this to me if you can: I have MTM speakers (Lynn Olson Ariels) that use two mid/bass units with rated sensitivity of 88 and a tweeter that's rated at 90. The cross-over has resistors in it to pad down the tweeter. How can that be? The measured response is nice and flat. I can't reconcile those numbers.

I don't understand what there is to reconcile. The tweeter is more sensitive so they padded it down to bring to the level of the woofer.

Konus Audio Systems (47 Labs) Essence Full Range Loudspeaker.

Colouring too much at very highs, sometimes enormous bass so that we're thinking on an additional subwoofer but actually nothing, sometimes no bass - as I say. Nothing.

Very bad allrounder, however, for some kind of music ONLY, great.

But if you have an extended musical taste, forget it and go for other.

Dave Jones said:

Can you reconcile that with the info in this thread? http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=29285

I would think the SPL would increase by 3db, not 6. Perhaps I need the Dummies (tm) explanation of SPL and sensitivity.

Two drivers in parallel = +6dB. However baffle step compensation
in the Ariel reduces midband efficiency by 6dB to give 88dB
midband sensitiviity and the tweeter is padded back to this.

BSC is required for a flat axial response.

:) sreten.

Heres another scenario. Using the linkwitz transform on seperate powered drivers in a common enclosure. Whereas you have two drivers in one enclosure but each has its own amplifier. Do you feed them all the same transformed signal. Do you calculate the signal by finding the total Q of, say 2 drivers in a 1.0 Cu Ft enclosure?

Heres a picture explaining it a little.

Attachments

• linkwitz.gif
    linkwitz.gif
    2.9 KB · Views: 299
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.