Building with the Soekris dam1121

Joined 2009
Paid Member
This thread is for everybody to share designs, ideas and tips for building DAC's using the Soekris dam1121 R-2R Sign Magnitude DAC module.

The module is intended to be mounted with component side down on a main board with power supply, digital audio receivers and with the user interface. It can also easily be used with cabling, but note that the headers are 2mm pitch.

I have no plans to make main boards to carry the dam1121 module, but will be happy to assist anybody who want to make one, plenty of opportunities to make different ones, from simple stereo ones to high end balanced ones and with different buffer technology.

Info to start with:

The dam1121 product page, with a manual and example schematics for a balanced test board: www.soekris.dk/dam1121.html

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Just ordered 2 so this seem relevant :-D

Will use them in balanced mode, each driving an nCore/SMPS600. DAM -> nCore 4cm cable. nCore -> speaker 30cm able. nCore/DAM in one and the same box.

Rest will be: SB Touch, Toslink optical splitter, 5 meter Toslink to each DAM. Death to analog cabling! :)

I will use this to power the DAM: 0.8uV Ultralow noise DAC power supply regulator 3.3/5/7V 1.5A*x2 - DIYINHK

I have 2 of these lying around - could be useful if the nCores like low impedance drive for some reason... : JG buffer - I2S over USB Audio powered by the 15v version of the above.

Remote attenuation remains to be solved. I think I could live with some funky long thin cables drawn behind the sofa with a double pot... at least initially.

I have high hopes for this topology.

//

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
can you explain more about the 1121 master clock in spec?
I don't want to use the SI570
can I direct pass the clock to DAM1121 by using the amanero(which is translated to LVDS differential clock)
thanks

For the FIFO to work the dam1121 must control the programmable clock oscillator, either the internal or external one, just like the dam1021.

At what frequencies does the MCLK run for the 352/384 kHz sample rate families?

I guess normally the frequency is selected based on the incoming I2S/SPDIF sample rate.
Is it possible to switch the MCLK frequency externally? I'm thinking here about the possibility to have the I2S source on the mainboard and to drive it synchronously from the DAM MCLK.

I guess I should have been more specific.

I guess invert/normal is no longer a choice?

For the boards set for balanced operation this could be done with a switch but for those going single-ended this option is no longer available?

Sorry to see that. That would be enough to keep me with my existing board.

I know you are going to fret over the loss of that sale!!!

I should be grateful ...

Take care,

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2009
Paid Member
I guess I should have been more specific.

I guess invert/normal is no longer a choice?

For the boards set for balanced operation this could be done with a switch but for those going single-ended this option is no longer available?

Sorry to see that. That would be enough to keep me with my existing board.

I know you are going to fret over the loss of that sale!!!

I should be grateful ...

Take care,

If you look at the config page in the manual, you should notice that I'm not done filling out with modes....

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Took delivery of 2 pcs. Small board :) - now wait for the rest of the needed stuff.

//

Attachments

• da.jpg
    da.jpg
    972.2 KB · Views: 2,347
This thread is for everybody to share designs, ideas and tips for building DAC's using the Soekris dam1121 R-2R Sign Magnitude DAC module.

The module is intended to be mounted with component side down on a main board with power supply, digital audio receivers and with the user interface. It can also easily be used with cabling, but note that the headers are 2mm pitch.

I have no plans to make main boards to carry the dam1121 module, but will be happy to assist anybody who want to make one, plenty of opportunities to make different ones, from simple stereo ones to high end balanced ones and with different buffer technology.

Info to start with:

The dam1121 product page, with a manual and example schematics for a balanced test board: Soekris Engineering ApS, Products dam1121

Soren

Can you provide the schematic of the vref?
I want to know can I mod it.
thanzks