Burson Supreme Sound Opamp V5 experience

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Now I was snoopy and ordered a pair of the new Burson Supreme Sound Opamp V5 S for my headphone amp WNA MKII.
Before I used OPA627 (after a lot of others) with best performance.
First short hearing test, my feeling the Supreme Sound Opamp V5 S surpassing the OPA627 in details of music.
In Ray-Brown-Summerwinds - Li'l darling (tr. 3) I hear each hair of the brushes more than with other OPAs.

Its hard to compare them, I don't have two ident WNA MKII, so I need to swap the OPAs for comparing.
The headphones I used for comparing AKG K812 Pro, AKG 712 Pro.

I think, the Burson Supreme Sound Opamp V5 (single or dual) are a very good option to replace OPAs.
The only drawback, it must be place enough.
I must use an additional DIP socket between.

What your experience about them?

About my WNA MKII
New! WNA MKll Head-amp kit.
New! WNA MKll Head-amp kit. - Page 51
The Opamp thread - Page 346

About Burson Supreme Sound Opamp V5 S
Supreme Sound Australia – Supreme Sound Opamp V5
Burson Audio – Supreme Sound Opamp V5
Supreme Sound Australia – DIY_Audio_Project
Burson Audio – Supreme Sound Opamp V5
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6s88jANfCw&feature=youtu.be

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
All that really matters is what you think of them.

I would suggest any potential users read the data sheet very very carefully and confirm the devices would be suitable for their intended application. An absolute max (their words) supply voltage of -/+15 volts is way below what many 5532/5534's and OPA2604/604's may be using. The lack of offset null also renders them not directly replaceable in contradiction to Bursons claim. That's not nit-picking, my Micromega uses 5534's together with offset null trimming.

Buyer beware I would say.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
This is why I say 'buyer beware' So it worked OK for you and you like the result :)

What if your intended application was running -/+18, or -/+24 volts as is suitable for the OPA604. That Burson make no mention (that I can see) for potential purchasers to check the intended supply voltage and whether the optional null facility is in use is worrying.

New Burson OP AMP 5i

Anyone order the new small version. I checked the PDF and they are
rated at +-16 Volts or 32 V DC. Order from their website arrived by
mail from HongKong. Had to reorder as found Parasound DAC needed
a DIP to SO8 Adapter Board for the dual output IC. Burson you tube video makes removing op amp look easy. But is it better to use Rosin on wick (rosin or water version?) on lead free solder of leads of So8 or Water clean flux on water clean wick ? I do not have a fancy vacuum desoldering device, just a regular temp adj. Weller solder station.

I ordered a pair, as I found them for a bargain, and I am VERY glad I read this thread;
I have a dac that I am building up/tweaking, comes with the regs set at 12v, however, the already completed setup that I also have, has had the voltage bumped up to 15v.

I had planned on trying them out first in the completed unit, think I will have to wait for the 12v dac to happen...

Thx Mooly.

Guys,

We are willing to send free samples of our Op-amp to those interested to try this upgrade and share his feedback with the community. All we need from you is to post a picture of your equipment to be upgraded and we will be reaching users via PM to discuss shipping details, review samples..etc.

Happy listening!

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
Anyone order the new small version. I checked the PDF and they are
rated at +-16 Volts or 32 V DC. Order from their website arrived by
mail from HongKong. Had to reorder as found Parasound DAC needed
a DIP to SO8 Adapter Board for the dual output IC. Burson you tube video makes removing op amp look easy. But is it better to use Rosin on wick (rosin or water version?) on lead free solder of leads of So8 or Water clean flux on water clean wick ? I do not have a fancy vacuum desoldering device, just a regular temp adj. Weller solder station.
To desolder a SO-8 I use one or two Weller Magnastats with a big tip, flood all pins with loads of solder and remove the chip easyly when it is swimming. This method does not damage any PCB-pads involved. After removing you can treat the pads with desoldering wick and clean them with isopropanol.

I had a fun time fitting the larger ones into an oem car head unit, the pads were 1mm wide, and the jumpers I used were very small as well.
The removal of the original parts was a quick snip and then individually remove the remaining.
The sound is amazing now, with a nice sound stage improvement. It's like the impedance is now flat across the spectrum maybe, not sure how else to describe it.

Wow, free parts sounds nice, but the cost of a camera that would actually show what I had going would have offset the free parts...

Everything else here is a proper 15v+15v supply, so no dice with the V5 I'm afraid.

Hello SSAUDIO, here is the DAC, is a diy board that was put together for my dad, he is using a regular op amp (ad827) that has worked before in a CD player, had liked the way it sounded in that setup.
He agreed to have me upgrade the capacitors to some Elna Silmic near the op amps, and the change has been good so far.

Attachments

• IMG_1183.JPG
    IMG_1183.JPG
    105 KB · Views: 721
Addendum: The Burson is audibly one of the best op amps I have ever used. I had some edge to violins and some horns. Burson had me increase from 10MFD to 220 MFD the
power supply caps at the chip which is +- 10 Volts. Particularly, the thud of a kick drum is very detailed. The Parasound DAC is used as an input to a Parasound JD2 preamp. Violins are very natural. The caps are horiz. away from the Op amp since their size is much bigger diameter and length.

Guys, we are still sending samples of our V5i op-amp to those willing to share his project with us on this thread.

I would be interested to hear from anyone who has tried the V5i's in my AD797 phono stage. I used AD797's for the input stage and LME49990's for the RIAA/gain stage.

Ignore the date on the photo, these are the latest PCB's.
yQktUwa.jpg

AK members earlier version.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
I had the opportunity to try out some of the compact V5i modules, courtesy of Burson.
Apparently time is marching on at Burson, and they are not sitting around! While I enjoy the irony of the company that basically disowned ic op amps taking on the challenge to implement one in a product, I did give them a serious listen.

After a couple years of swapping around different parts in an effort to find a decent balance, I had found a set of the Burson V4 modules, and was then quite happy. This newer, smaller op amp gave the balanced sound that I was looking for before I had splurged on the large discrete V4s. While the delicate midrange of the V4 isn’t quite there, these smaller devices really don’t give up much. A decent solid bass, and overall very balance sound that I really hadn’t heard in an ic type part before.
I would really think that these would be perfect in a smaller case, where discrete parts wouldn’t be welcome for several reasons. The mobile environment is a perfect match to theV5i; where the background noise prevents serious listening, yet you don’t want to compromise on the quality. Car head units would also be another great application for these.

I know I have enjoyed trying them in a DAC in my headphone setup, where the office noise often occurs, and would recommend them.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.