diyAudio

diyAudio (https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/index.php)
-   Class D (https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/)
-   -   TPA3255 - all about DIY, Discussion, Design etc. (https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/287470-tpa3255-diy-discussion-design-etc.html)

lms 24th February 2016 11:33 PM

TPA3255 - all about DIY, Discussion, Design etc.
 
TI high power amp chip from tpa3251 family

doctormord 25th February 2016 01:04 AM

And now?

Jensen567 27th February 2016 02:12 PM

Looks like this chip is basically a replacement for TAS5630? Hopefully we start to see some cheap boards show up from the usual Chinese sources in a few months.

doctormord 27th February 2016 02:20 PM

tpa3255
 
Yeah, it's all about cheap today, who needs quality engineering anymore. ;)

The 3255 fits the 3251 boards, so they are available already - but not as cheap as chinaware.

Jensen567 27th February 2016 02:31 PM

90% of the specs for 10% of the price is the name of the game. :)

Really though, I think I just like the cheap Chinese boards because for what they are, they sound quite good.

If I spend a bunch of money on something I expect it to sound good and be good quality.

When I spend $20, I expect garbage, so when I get something half decent it is exciting.

Anyway, back to the chip at hand. I like the wide input voltage range, makes quick testing on a laptop power brick a possibility to make sure the circuit is wired correctly before putting it in an enclosure. Looks like a quality IC for newer designs.

doctormord 27th February 2016 03:12 PM

Never seen a 36-50V laptop supply . ;)

But yeah, the expanded voltage range is a nice bonus even when not going for full output power spec.

OT:

Except that, is your job 90% work at 10% money as well?

Chinese culture is, to my knowledge, let others do 90% of r&d and then take over the efforts for the rest of the 10% work. :)

But that's how the world is working today. Get everything for nothing.

Jensen567 27th February 2016 03:51 PM

Supply range is listed as 12V to 50V, so yes, you certainly wont get full output from a 19V laptop brick, but it will power up the circuit and let you make sure it at least works before burying it in a cabinet somewhere with the real supply. At least that's how I see it.

OT:

I do basically do 90% of the work for 10% of the money at my current place of employment. Seriously though, I do, I really need to start looking around. At least I enjoy what I do now though.

doctormord 27th February 2016 05:14 PM

Sad to hear, but I wish you lots of luck and all the best to find something better. :)

Well, for the 19V the TPA3251 is up to 40V, and available already. Not need to wait for the 3255.

gmarsh 27th February 2016 05:47 PM

Why use a laptop brick? 48V power supplies are very easy to come by, in telecom land they're commonly called rectifiers.

Here's 1750 watts for 69 USD. Slightly overkill, and you'll have to bodge on your own input/output connections and probably jumper a couple things for the thing to start up, but overall it's hard to beat things like this watts per dollar.

Emerson R48 1800A Rectifier Converter 35A 48V DC 1750W | eBay

xrk971 27th February 2016 06:52 PM

Thanks for the tip on the "Rectifier". I suppose two can be put in series for dual rail supply? 34 amp output sounds kind of nuts. How is that even possible?

Definitely something to keep in mind. This thing is lethal though.


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:22 AM.


Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Resources saved on this page: MySQL 17.65%
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©1999-2018 diyAudio

Wiki