2.1 4" unit, can't decide

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
since I have to take two week vacation around Christmas, I'm looking for a small project. Since my girlfriend isn't a real music lover, she doesn't have a stereo system in her living room.
That gave me the idea to build a small system during the vacation. Usually I build 2 or 3 way speakers, but since this one has to be small I'm thinking of a (for me new field) 2.1 system using full range units as left/right and a small sub if necessary.
I've been searching a bunch of HobbyHifi's and Klang&Ton's (German DIY magazines for who don't know them), DIYaudio and the web for measurements.

I'm looking for 4 inch units. The units that made it through the first round:
Omnes Audio BB4.01, Scan Speak 12W/4524G00, Scan Speak 10F/8414G10, Wavecor FR084WA01, Wavecor FR090WA01, Seas MU10RB-SL, Visaton B80, Wavecor WF118WA06, TB W4-655C, W4-1320xxx, W4-1337xxx, Fountek FR88EX. First round had the criteria of 'about 4 inch', acceptable distortion and waterfall diagram, relatively small enclosure, preferrably under $70 or under $100 including filter per side. They didn't have to be a fullrange 'by nature'.
After second round of selection: BB4.01, 10F/8414G10, W4-655C. But... I don't know from here, my doubts:
  • HobbyHifi 1/16 is really really positive about the BB4.01. But it needs a passive filter twice the price of the unit itself to make the response that perfect. Isn't it better to invest that in the driver? Or is it actually that good and shouldn't the large filter let that scare me off? (as I have the thought that when a driver needs a large/complex filter, that says something about the quality of the unit)
  • A lot of people are enthousiast about the TB units, but I don't have good enough measurements to compare with the measurements I have in HobbyHifi/Klang&Ton.
  • Do I need an extra tweeter for 10kHz and up? If I do so, why don't go to a normal 2 way instead of a fullrange+single subwoofer.
  • How important is the range from 10kHz and 20kHz? When I 'flatten cone breakup' with an LCR, is that enough, or still to much of a risk? And I also see fullranges that have almost no output above 15kHz.
Maybe I have too much questions, because of too much doubt.

I'd appreciate your opinion and experience.

Kind regards, Vigier

Since this is the "full range" forum, and unless local supply and pricing issues are prohibitive, a couple of names to add to your short list should be Mark Audio, and Fostex. They both have very well performing drivers in the 3" and 4" weight class, and literally dozens of proven enclosure designs by the DIY community herein.

My back storage room is full of examples of both :D - and for my aged ears, none need the addition of tweeters for that last octave above 10K.

For a 2-way I'd rather go with a FAST type - smaller FR and supporting stereo woofers crossed over in the low hundreds, below the telephone band. (i.e. 180 - 350 range). This can certainly be achieved in a modular fashion (the old sub/sat) with 3-4" FR driver and separate self powered woofer. There are even some 2.1 plate amps that provided you have volume control upstream make for a very tidy system, not unlike the configuration of small computer speaker systems that are generally quite horrid sounding - at least that's been the case with all the entry level up to $300 price range that I've heard.

There a good thread about the TABAQ which is an easy build, uses TB drivers, or the likes, sounds very good and yet still small enough to not get intrusive.

Putting them against a wall, they don't really need and BSC.
Also, follow Bjorn suggestion of mounting the driver 5cm lower than in the original drawing.

Stain or paint them in the same colours as the living room and you'd probably have a winner!

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/88787-tabaq-tl-tang-band.html

Thanks a lot for all of your ideas!
The Overnight Sensations look great, I think my girlfriend will like the look of the Hivi units. WAF and size are also important, didn't mention that in my opening post. A lot of enthousiast builders on the site sreten posted.

The Fostex and TC9 units have one 'problem', the shape of the units. I tried to make the shape with a router and a chisel a few years ago for a Monacor SPH165CP, that didn't work out and to be honest, I don't really like the shape. The TC9 is really cheap on PE thought...

I will surely do some more research on MarkAudio drivers. I read that the Omnes Audio BB4 on my list is manufactured by MarkAudio. Units look great and the price is within my range.

I've read about 20% of the TABAQ thread, man that's a long one... But this one is too large for her. I aim for about 10 inch high, max 12 inch.

thnx again, I have some research to do for new units on my list this weekend.

Just hide the basket shape from sight, works very well :), even in measurements...
polish-6.jpg

I know you can do that with a router, no need for a chisel.
Need plenty of WD40 though, if you do it in Alu....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.