DIY speakers using Raven R2 ribbon tweeters, PHL 1240 midrange, and Lambda Acoustics

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
DIY speakers using Raven R2 ribbon tweeters, PHL 1240 midrange, and Lambda Acoustics TDX12 bass drivers:

Attachments

• Ravendiy.jpg
    Ravendiy.jpg
    648.5 KB · Views: 660
Tweeters: Raven R2
Midrange: PHL Audio 1240
Bass: Lambda Acoustics TD12X (now AE Speakers TD12X)
Subwoofers: Adire Audio Shiva
Amp rack from the top down in the picture:
Pre-Amp: Classe Audio CP-35, balanced (XLR) inputs/outputs
CD Player: Arcam FMJ (I think running single ended, RCA)
Crossover: Marchand Electronics XM44 with balanced (XLR) inputs/outputs
Tube Amp #1: DIY, class A, based on SAR Labs design for the tweeters.
Tube Amp #2: DIY, hybrid tube amplification stage with solid state output stage, for the midragnes.
Big Amp: Classe Audio CA-201, for the TDX12 bass drivers
(note the subwoofers have el-cheapo plate amplifiers mounted on the back-side)
It is an entirely active setup, meaning there are no passive crossovers in the speakers. The crossover is great -- based on a Linkwitz-Riley 24 db/oct alignment, adjustable filter points by changing out the cards, and you can do fun things like Linkwitz Transforms (bass boost) if you want.
All the interconnects are standard off the shelf XLR's. Nothing special ($15 per cable). XLRs really help with reducing noise from the rats nest of power cables in behind the amp rack, since XLRs use a balanced signal.
We don't really have "plans" per-se for the speaker cabinets .. they were just designed and built on the fly.
So that picture was taken in my parents' basement several years ago. I actually have the Classe CA-201 at my place right now, along with two Classe CA-101s for powering my DIY setup:
http://i.imgur.com/Etjs2MZ.jpg
My speakers consist of:
Tweeters: Morel ET 338
Midrange: PHL Audio 1120 (yes, we both pairs of speakers use PHL midranges!)
Bass: Peerless Audio 8" HDS <--- nothing special about these drivers in my opinion
Source: PC to Benchmark DAC1 Pre (FLAC music)
Again, no plans for the cabinets .. just built on the fly.
Any more questions just ask!
edit* sorry I only have one CA-101 in that pic, and the black amp (top left) is a SAR Labs MOS 400. I also didn't mention the receiver -- it's a Marantz and only powers the rear in ceiling speakers if I'm watching a movie (and I have a front left/right pre-out from the Marantz into my Benchmark DAC so that I can use the front speakers when watching movies). I'll probably stick a center channel speaker in there one day, but I hardly ever watch movies.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.