diyAudio

diyAudio (https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/index.php)
-   PC Based (https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pc-based/)
-   -   moode vs volumio vs runeaudio (https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pc-based/281417-moode-vs-volumio-vs-runeaudio.html)

surfstu 22nd October 2015 11:40 PM

moode vs volumio vs runeaudio

Are they all the same? I was using Volumio version 1.X and am considering upgrading to version 2.

Why is the Moode thread on here so popular? Am i missing something? I thought they were all the same at base level?

It always upset me at the lack of rich graphical support for MPD players. I wanted nice scrolling through album artwork on my android but only found contata on PC or Mac that looked good.

Have things moved on?

Stu

freijnen 26th October 2015 09:15 AM

moode, volumio and rune all started from the same project in the past. But there are some differences in how the programs are evolving with new features.
My personal favourite is moOde audio because i like the way the cover-art, internet radio stations and the playlist are integrated in the play screen.
But all three are great pieces of software.

I am no software developer, but i think what you want, a rich graphical gui to control the audio player, is a bit much to ask from a headless audio player running on a small computer. Remember that the whole user interface of these kind of MPD players is brought to your screen using a standard web browser.
I think you should look into players "with a head". That is software that doesn't relay on a web interface, but shows the userinterface on a screen directly connected to your music computer. Maybe kodi (Kodi | Open Source Home Theatre Software) is a suitable candidate for you? I don't have experience with kodi myself, but it looks promising.

phalanger 27th October 2015 08:33 PM

After having tried all three, I prefer RuneAudio over the other two.
Rune is a lot faster to start up, shut down and index the library than both others.
The interface of moode is nice on PC, but too cluttered on phone/tablet, especially with a long playlist.
Functionally, they are all very similar, but the speed and clean interface of Rune make it the winner for me personally.

MrSlim 1st November 2015 01:38 AM

I've been mulling over the same question, and am curious about setting up a UPNP network, with Minimserver, some kind of tablet App (like BubblePNP or some of the commercial ones..) as a control point and Rune as the renderer (Rune has the upnp library implemented). It may provide a richer interface without the requirement for it all to be handled by the web server on a Pi or other SBC.

MrSlim 1st November 2015 01:45 AM

upmpdcli is a UPnP Media Renderer front-end for MPD, the Music Player Daemon. It supports UPnP gapless track transitions and the OpenHome ohMedia services.

An UPnP Audio Media Renderer based on MPD

medoc92 16th November 2015 12:49 PM

Just to clarify (maybe): as far as I know, upmpcli is already present in Volumio/RuneAudio/Moodle, and does not need to be installed separately. It may need to be enabled somewhere in the menus though. Once this is done, the player has an UPnP interface through which it can be controlled (e.g. with Bubble UPnP), in addition to its own Web interface.

Jerms 16th November 2015 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSlim (https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pc-based/281417-moode-vs-volumio-vs-runeaudio-post4501812.html#post4501812)
I've been mulling over the same question, and am curious about setting up a UPNP network, with Minimserver, some kind of tablet App (like BubblePNP or some of the commercial ones..) as a control point and Rune as the renderer (Rune has the upnp library implemented). It may provide a richer interface without the requirement for it all to be handled by the web server on a Pi or other SBC.

If that is all that you want, a Chromecast Audio is a simple answer to the renderer component.

Though OSMC=KODI+OS can do the same sorts of things plus all that Kodi can do too.

MrSlim 16th November 2015 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by medoc92 (https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pc-based/281417-moode-vs-volumio-vs-runeaudio-post4519395.html#post4519395)
Just to clarify (maybe): as far as I know, upmpcli is already present in Volumio/RuneAudio/Moodle, and does not need to be installed separately. It may need to be enabled somewhere in the menus though. Once this is done, the player has an UPnP interface through which it can be controlled (e.g. with Bubble UPnP), in addition to its own Web interface.

Yes, I was aware of that..

MrSlim 16th November 2015 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerms (https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pc-based/281417-moode-vs-volumio-vs-runeaudio-post4519444.html#post4519444)
If that is all that you want, a Chromecast Audio is a simple answer to the renderer component.

Though OSMC=KODI+OS can do the same sorts of things plus all that Kodi can do too.

I just read about Chromecast Audio on the weekend, and it does look like a simple solution for sure. I already have a RPi+ and IQ Audio DAC that I am working on (set up Moode on it for the time being) so I don't need more hardware..

Bibio 16th November 2015 02:46 PM

i have tried all three.

Rune.. i could not get to work properly with IQaudIO Dac+ with the volume

Volumio.. using this just now and its good.

MoOde.. is by far the most configurable from the menu (no need to do any bashing).

if MoOde had Volumio playback interface but with album art and the same browsing functions then MoOde would be a clear winner by a long way. Volumio is laid out a bit better in my opinion but MoOde has the setup functions. cross MoOde and Volumio and we have a winner :-)