moode vs volumio vs runeaudio

Are they all the same? I was using Volumio version 1.X and am considering upgrading to version 2.

Why is the Moode thread on here so popular? Am i missing something? I thought they were all the same at base level?

It always upset me at the lack of rich graphical support for MPD players. I wanted nice scrolling through album artwork on my android but only found contata on PC or Mac that looked good.

Have things moved on?

Stu

moode, volumio and rune all started from the same project in the past. But there are some differences in how the programs are evolving with new features.
My personal favourite is moOde audio because i like the way the cover-art, internet radio stations and the playlist are integrated in the play screen.
But all three are great pieces of software.

I am no software developer, but i think what you want, a rich graphical gui to control the audio player, is a bit much to ask from a headless audio player running on a small computer. Remember that the whole user interface of these kind of MPD players is brought to your screen using a standard web browser.
I think you should look into players "with a head". That is software that doesn't relay on a web interface, but shows the userinterface on a screen directly connected to your music computer. Maybe kodi (Kodi | Open Source Home Theatre Software) is a suitable candidate for you? I don't have experience with kodi myself, but it looks promising.

After having tried all three, I prefer RuneAudio over the other two.
Rune is a lot faster to start up, shut down and index the library than both others.
The interface of moode is nice on PC, but too cluttered on phone/tablet, especially with a long playlist.
Functionally, they are all very similar, but the speed and clean interface of Rune make it the winner for me personally.

I've been mulling over the same question, and am curious about setting up a UPNP network, with Minimserver, some kind of tablet App (like BubblePNP or some of the commercial ones..) as a control point and Rune as the renderer (Rune has the upnp library implemented). It may provide a richer interface without the requirement for it all to be handled by the web server on a Pi or other SBC.

Just to clarify (maybe): as far as I know, upmpcli is already present in Volumio/RuneAudio/Moodle, and does not need to be installed separately. It may need to be enabled somewhere in the menus though. Once this is done, the player has an UPnP interface through which it can be controlled (e.g. with Bubble UPnP), in addition to its own Web interface.

I've been mulling over the same question, and am curious about setting up a UPNP network, with Minimserver, some kind of tablet App (like BubblePNP or some of the commercial ones..) as a control point and Rune as the renderer (Rune has the upnp library implemented). It may provide a richer interface without the requirement for it all to be handled by the web server on a Pi or other SBC.

If that is all that you want, a Chromecast Audio is a simple answer to the renderer component.

Though OSMC=KODI+OS can do the same sorts of things plus all that Kodi can do too.

Just to clarify (maybe): as far as I know, upmpcli is already present in Volumio/RuneAudio/Moodle, and does not need to be installed separately. It may need to be enabled somewhere in the menus though. Once this is done, the player has an UPnP interface through which it can be controlled (e.g. with Bubble UPnP), in addition to its own Web interface.
Yes, I was aware of that..

If that is all that you want, a Chromecast Audio is a simple answer to the renderer component.

Though OSMC=KODI+OS can do the same sorts of things plus all that Kodi can do too.

I just read about Chromecast Audio on the weekend, and it does look like a simple solution for sure. I already have a RPi+ and IQ Audio DAC that I am working on (set up Moode on it for the time being) so I don't need more hardware..

i have tried all three.

Rune.. i could not get to work properly with IQaudIO Dac+ with the volume

Volumio.. using this just now and its good.

MoOde.. is by far the most configurable from the menu (no need to do any bashing).

if MoOde had Volumio playback interface but with album art and the same browsing functions then MoOde would be a clear winner by a long way. Volumio is laid out a bit better in my opinion but MoOde has the setup functions. cross MoOde and Volumio and we have a winner :)

I just tried Volumio again. It's a bust for me. had a spinning "connecting" screen.... forever.... Whenever I tried to get it to do anything. So it's a NO from me.

I tried Moode on a whim and .... Yup, that UI is different. Seems to work fine.... Dedicated to the Pi and easy to use. Haven't tried upnp on it yet but it's looking promising. I see what is meant by wanting options to play or add an entire album though.

I may be on Moode for a while. :)

J.

Archphile better solution?

I've got a Hummingboard. Tried Squeeze On Arch (not maintained anymore), Volumio (stopped for unknown reason, had to reinstall). Runeaudio announced a build for the Hummingboard ages ago, but no release till now.

Than I tried Archphile. Had to do some modifications, because of the spdif output instead of usb, but works great now. With the mpod app a superb combination. A 2GB sd-card is all I need.

hi, I'm looking for upnp renderer. (sorry for the basic questions i'm newbie) I though about a Rpi, thus with Rune as you mention it is ok. Rpi and use its i2s output to feed a digital amp (qls hifi QA100) on its i2s input. On paper it looks ok to me, tiny, low voltage, easy to power with clean DC, i2S is better than toslink or rca or usb. But in reality, it sounds really good or poor ? A lot of guys use NUCs to stream music. Is NUC better than Rpi ? As a newbie, I would think that the more tiny hardware is better because less noisy. Am I correct ? thanks

Can any of the three players mentioned output their audio to an arbitrary ALSA device. Specifically can they direct the audio to an ALSA loopback? I would really like a player that can do that so that I can integrate it into my DIY wireless streaming audio system.

If not one of these, is there any player out there that can run on a headless server with a remote controlled interface (over WiFi) and output its audio to an ALSA loopback device?

Volumio and moode are based on raspian and you should be able to tweak the config files manually to do that. Probably also rune which is based on arch but I have no epxerience.

The players are based on mpd so you can also pipe out the sound directly to ecasound or whatever applicable program. See here for options (not all are included in the compiled version)
Output plugins

The webbased user interface is limited to what options can be picked but it has built in logic to identify the default alsa card and device or you can tweak it manually with what you find from aplay -L

There are also other "players" included for airport play streams. These can also be tweaked to pipe out the sound to stdout.

Can any of the three players mentioned output their audio to an arbitrary ALSA device. Specifically can they direct the audio to an ALSA loopback? I would really like a player that can do that so that I can integrate it into my DIY wireless streaming audio system.

If not one of these, is there any player out there that can run on a headless server with a remote controlled interface (over WiFi) and output its audio to an ALSA loopback device?

AIUI they all probably can.... Just had a quick flick through the Rune forums. If it's defined properly in ALSA, it can probably be selected as the output device.

J.

Interesting that not one post mentioned the quality of the sound...

For me, moOde wins hands-down over Volumio and Rune. I have 6 units - 1 Pi1 with an Aliexpress i2s DAC clone, 4 Pi2B and a Pi3B with HifiBerry Amp, HifiBerry DAC, IQ Audio AMP an IQ Audio DAC and about 20 SD cards with various music players loaded. I really wanted to try them all, in all combinations, to find the best player and invariably I come back to moOde. It's just better sounding.

It may take a while to boot up, but then, I only reboot when loading a new release - it sits on my stereo shelf happily serving music, quietly, reliably, with a great UI. It reads reliably from SD, USB Flash, NFS and CIFS (from a central NAS) and I can't remember the last time I had to reboot it because of a problem - maybe never. I'm running R25.

IIRC the new release will be based on Jessie Lite (Debian/Raspbian minimalist)

Last edited:
I've tried them all.. I've chosen moode for my setup. I'm setting up a "diy sonos" type system. putting a rpi2 / 3 in each room of the house running moode.. 2.5 was a better release than 2.4 i feel, but i prefer the underlying OS more so than the gui.. i'll be doing most of my controlling via tablet, phone or other means. all though the configuration of moode worked better out of the box than the others did.. at the end of the day, i just wanted one that worked and moode 2.5 fit that bill for me with my preferred flavor of *nix