New ESS ES9018 eBay - Opinions?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm starting to look at building a new DAC and want to step up to the ESS brand, or other quality kit. I've found this unit on ebay (pics below) and was wondering if it's a good starting point. I need a board that I can use out of the box, as it will possibly be integrated into another pre, so I'm not inclined to want to upgrade parts or otherwise tweak it. I would like it to have excellent sound for an above-average audio system, but not necessarily audiophile quality. Cost is an object! It needs to be reliable and simply, just work. I recent had a bad experience with AK4399 based board so that project got shelved - for the time being.

If you have other DAC kits you can suggest I'm open to all ready-made (assembled) DIY solutions. Whatever solution I end up with it needs to handle 384k, DSD sources and have a display.

Thanks -

Attachments

• ESS E9018 Picture.jpg
    ESS E9018 Picture.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 499
  • ESS E9018 Picture 2.jpg
    ESS E9018 Picture 2.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 491
Can't tell much from a picture but 'seems' a very long way from the DAC to the I/V converter which would worry me. Seems the layout is more to allow people to op-amp roll rather than to give high performance.

But $170 might be worth a punt.

By the listing not all necessary components are included? It is funny after all the DAC issues and high quality clocks they still want to roll op-amps, those 8-legs must be at the root of it all. :)

By the listing not all necessary components are included? It is funny after all the DAC issues and high quality clocks they still want to roll op-amps, those 8-legs must be at the root of it all. :)
Yeah, I'm looking for a DAC without issues. Whether a ES9018, or other brand. It's hard to wade through all the posts and find ones that sounded and worked reliably out of the box. Which designers should I stay away from? Weiling sounds like they have issues. Others?

I have the older 4 layer board like this, it has 7 regulators and this new one has less. The biggest problem with this design is the power supply's to the 9018. Once you give the AVCC a new clean supply it works very well. It's an unbeatable value, and the best DAC iv'e owned. If you want something less fussy you can go with AK4495 it sounds very nice but doesn't have the potential for balanced output, volume control, 10pin USB I2S. It's a great option for a toslink or coax only device.

Take this one from Twistedpearaudio, the first developers, scroll to the bottom of the page:

Parts Bin

It is sold out as overstock.

It is developed by DIYAudio Members Brian Donegan and Russ White.
I already have one since 2011, but I bought a second some days ago. Best DAC I have heard so far. I am not sure wether the ebay DAC can cope according to layout.

Last edited:
Take this one from Twistedpearaudio, the first developers, scroll to the bottom of the page:

Parts Bin

It is sold out as overstock.

It is developed by DIYAudio Members Brian Donegan and Russ White.
I already have one since 2011, but I bought a second some days ago. Best DAC I have heard so far. I am not sure wether the ebay DAC can cope according to layout.

Thanks Salar. I'll investigate.

Thanks for link. That's a great looking DAC and build. Lots of attention to detail and build quality. I'm sure it sound great. Unfortunately, the completed units are a bit too expensive for me - but maybe one I can aspire to someday. :)

I've changed my strategy. I've got a new AK4395S on order including an XMOS daughter card for USB. If it all arrives in time I'll have a nice project for the upcoming Thanksgiving break.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.