Pioneer tapedeck symptoms?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2009
Paid Member
I have a Pioneer tapedeck CT-W910R thats been working great,then a few weeks ago while I was playing a tape it sped up and sounded like chipmonks chattering away? The pushbuttons FF,RW,Stop,Pause,dont respond nor the eject button and I have to turn off the power to stop it.This is a twin cassette and only does this on the left side,Ive cleaned the pinch rollers,spindles, etc.. the belts look OK, I cant see anything thats obviously broken mechanicly in the tape mechanism or swollen leaking caps, etc.. on the boards. Ive noticed a spring thats not connected to anything on one end though? (Uploaded photos) Its not in the service manuals exploded view and I cant find anywhere to clip the right angled end onto so Im wondering if this has anything to do with the problem? Any help greatly appreciated.:D

Attachments

• Pioneer TD DIY 003.jpg
    Pioneer TD DIY 003.jpg
    869.5 KB · Views: 80
  • Pioneer TD DIY 006.jpg
    Pioneer TD DIY 006.jpg
    988.1 KB · Views: 105
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Here are some photos with the mechanism as it was still in the tapedeck,the first photo is the lefthand side with the different type of spring and the other photo is the right hand side showing the other spring?

Attachments

• Pioneer Tapedeck 002.jpg
    Pioneer Tapedeck 002.jpg
    980.7 KB · Views: 84
  • Pioneer Tapedeck 004.jpg
    Pioneer Tapedeck 004.jpg
    877.3 KB · Views: 76
chipmonks
We worship the Great Integrated Circuit in the heavens above...:)

Flanders and Swan have an answer but doubt it is the one you're looking for....But it is entertaining in the interim...and has bumped your query...:D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fJmmDkvQyc
At the Drop of a Hat - 02 - A Song of Reproduction

I see... I see you've got your negative feedback coupled in with your push-pull-input-output. Take that across through your redded pickup to your tweeter, if you're modding more than eight, you're going to get wow on your top. Try to bring that down through your pre-amp rumble filter to your woofer, what'll you get? Flutter on your bottom!
Flanders: With the tone control at a single touch,
Swann: Bel canto sounds like double Dutch.

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
This tape deck has been sitting gathering dust for the last 4 years. It was a top of the line tape deck in its heyday and sounded great until it stopped working properly. Does anyone know of a competent repairman in my area? I live in Mandurah 80kms south of Perth Western Australia.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
If it suddenly speeds up then perhaps the pinch-roller spring has come adrift? The jamming of the controls might be due to the spring blocking the push button mechanism.

Thanks for the info, Mark. I have repaired many a tape deck in my time but this one is beyond me? I've tried everything I know plus a load of suggestions and ideas from other people like yourself without success, that's why I'm looking for someone in my area that is familiar with this model so I can get it fixed properly.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.