diyAudio

diyAudio (https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/index.php)
-   Twisted Pear (https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/twisted-pear/)
-   -   Introducing the Hermes-Amanero (https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/twisted-pear/272494-introducing-hermes-amanero.html)

Russ White 4th April 2015 02:31 PM

Introducing the Hermes-Amanero

1 Attachment(s)
Hello Folks,

You can get the Hermes-Amanero (along with the Cronus/Rhea) here:

Cronus Reclocking

This module allows you to use the Amanero with the Cronus in a fully isolated manner with the Amanero in slave mode - and the Cronus providing the audio master clock.

This give you an ideal isolated USB audio solution that supports PCM/DSD(via DoP implemented in the Amanero)

All frequencies from 32Khz to 384Khz are supported and transitions between 44.1 and 48Khz sample rate families are seamless.

I am currently (and strongly recommend) using the following configuration.

Cronus:
45/49Mhz clock with Hermes clock output set to 1:2 - this means the Amanereo is sourced with 22/24Mhz - while the clock for reclocking (and optionally the DAC) is 45/49Mhz.

Amanero:
CPLD Firmware = "Slave_For_1080"
CPU Firmware = "firmware_1096c" or "firmware_1095b" - but do not use "firmware_1095c" as it is broken.

Hardware setup is very simple - just connect the appropriate headers and stack the Amanero with the Hermes (either on top or bottom depends on your needs) Then stack the Hermes (once again either top or bottom) on the Cronus. This makes the interface very clean and short - and at the critical point (the Cronus outputs) everything is time aligned with the Cronus master clock.

I have tested this combination in Windows using Foobar and on my MacBook Pro using Vox and other players.

PCM and DSD both work fantastically and play lists that move between sample rates and DSD/PCM types work as expected with no pops (using a B3SE) or any other nastiness. The highest sample rates work perfectly (352/384khz) with the firmware indicated above.

I am very pleased with the result - and since everything is perfectly time aligned with the Cronus clock from input to output the audio signal is clean and pure. No data errors - no data loss - no isolator induced phase noise. With Hermes/Cronus there is no need to for anything else between you and music.

This is not really simply reclocking - it is in fact simply a perfectly time aligned USB source.

This is the simplest way to use Cronus - and works very well even with usb hosts like the rpi-2.

Cheers!
Russ

Russ White 4th April 2015 09:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are the flash config bits.

kannan_s 4th April 2015 11:28 PM

For Buffalo II what kind of set up required - do we need Rhea ?

Russ White 4th April 2015 11:32 PM

Yes you will want the combo with the "Cronus Re-clocking Module with 45.1584/49.152MHz Rhea Pair"

Cheers!
Russ

kannan_s 4th April 2015 11:38 PM

thanks
i just ordered

pawlus 7th April 2015 03:45 AM

Can you clarify this a little?

"This give you an ideal isolated USB audio solution that supports PCM/DSD(via DoP implemented in the Amanero)"

Are you saying that the ASIO driver won't work with the Cronus/Hermes?

Russ White 7th April 2015 11:11 PM

Any driver that works with the Amanero firmware will work fine. :)

Russ White 7th April 2015 11:14 PM

Some pictures of a running setup

2 Attachment(s)
This is the way I am using the Hermes-Amanero

It attaches to the back panel of my case.

You can mount the Hermes and the Amanero on the bottom if it is more convenient - the choice is yours.

Cheers!
Russ

pawlus 8th April 2015 01:09 AM

Very nice! I'll be ordering a set and thanks for the clarification.

gianmaria 11th April 2015 03:15 PM

Dear Russ,
on the Amanero website about CPU firmware I just find the 1080... Where can I find the newer version you mentioned (1096c) ?

Thank you,
GM

Amanero:
CPLD Firmware = "Slave_For_1080"
CPU Firmware = "firmware_1096c" or "firmware_1095b" - but do not use "firmware_1095c" as it is broken.