Voice coil

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys, newbie here,
Hope you can help me with my issue.Working on the vintage radio with a bad output transformer. 2 pp 42 tubes output, 8 watts. Have no specs on the tr-r. So, the primary impedance will be 10000ohms. My problem is the secondary. The voice coil reads 2.0 ohms DC and I do not know which way to go- 2 or 4 ohms impedance? Checked coil under the mag. glass- no shorts. Any idea?
Thanks in advance.

How can you check the VC under a magnifying glass when the speaker is not disassembled??

What sort of "radio"?

Have you checked the tube manual(s) for the typical primary impedance for the B+ voltage you are running?? 10kohms seems surprisingly high. In which case the secondary impedance you wish to match will not match.

It will make sound, but the goal is maximum power transfer for a given load Z.

2 ohms DC seems to indicate <4 ohms, but "4 ohms" nominal is likely good enough for a radio.

Have you tested the speaker?

How can you check the VC under a magnifying glass when the speaker is not disassembled??

What sort of "radio"?

Have you checked the tube manual(s) for the typical primary impedance for the B+ voltage you are running?? 10kohms seems surprisingly high. In which case the secondary impedance you wish to match will not match.

It will make sound, but the goal is maximum power transfer for a given load Z.

2 ohms DC seems to indicate <4 ohms, but "4 ohms" nominal is likely good enough for a radio.

Have you tested the speaker?
Of course I disassembled the speaker,pulled out the field coil and armature to check the coil visually. It is push/pull with #42 tubes calling for 10k primary impedance. It is late 30' vintage tube radio. I can't get continuity to the CT of the primary, hence the new transformer is in order.
"Newbie" meant new for the forum.
Thanks.

This little gem is real useful for checking speaker and general load impedance. Some say Raymer, some University. They show up on ebay sometimes.

They check 25V and 70V line wattage (by impedance) from 0.5 to 200W and speaker or transformed impedance itself from 1 Ohm to 10K. They do it at 100Hz or 400Hz.

Attachments

• LWT EDS.pdf
    121.4 KB · Views: 51
  • Tech Bulletin 35 - LWT Tester Application.pdf
    95.1 KB · Views: 26
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.