Mounting a leather clad baffle

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone!

I have bought myself a pair of Alpair 10.2 and have decided to go for Jim Griffins design for a MLTL.
As I''ve been pondering my design options I an finally arriving at a decision.

I was thinking of using laminated oak panels for the top, bottom and side panels and leather clad back and baffle.

I want the baffle to be flush mounted to the surrounding walls, but how to go about this is a different matter.

As of now I've just come up with three solutions:

1. Cover the baffle in faux leather and just assemble the box where I glue the leather sides to the of the baffle to the surrounding hardwood.
(Am I making sense here)?
I don't think that will hold very well though.

1.2. The above but strengthening the bond by using wooden plugs between the walls and baffle.

2. Adding a frame on the inside if the box and threaded inserts to the baffle, securing the baffle to the box from the inside.

3. Build the box with baffle inserted, mill i 1mm groove along the baffle, dress the baffle, trim the edges and tuck the remaining leather into the groove.
This solution seems to easy/good to be viable.

Well ladies and gents, that is what keeps me up at night and prevents me from being a productive co worker.

I hope your expertise will guide me to the path of beautiful sound in an attractive exterior.

Majorna

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.