Amp Bias help ? Rebuild & Tube Change !

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2014
I Changed My Output Tubes from EL 34 6CA7 to 6L6 GC .

Attachments

• 75 watt amplifier 002.jpg
    75 watt amplifier 002.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 65
  • 75 watt amplifier 003.jpg
    75 watt amplifier 003.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 63
  • 75 watt amplifier 004.jpg
    75 watt amplifier 004.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 65
  • 75 watt amplifier 005.jpg
    75 watt amplifier 005.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 72
  • bell as mig 50 014.jpg
    bell as mig 50 014.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 64
  • pics 021.jpg
    pics 021.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 32
  • pics 029.jpg
    pics 029.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 31
  • pics 020.jpg
    pics 020.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2014
I Got the bias !

I read hundreds of articles that tube amp techs wrote most made little sense to me ! .
You need to control the negative bias current flow with resistors to put the tubes current flow somewhere in the .030 to .040 mA range with a minus 52 volts on the grids ! . Not very hard to do once you understand it - but it's hard to explain it in words ! .
I used Fender specs for my build and they were all totally wrong for my amp basically and I had to basically alter almost all of them .
I got some very bad advise from a few different techs telling me to go and gut the amp and to start over with another guitar amps diagram .
I won't ever make that kind of a mistake again ! .
I was right in the beginning to just modify the input and the pre-amp only ! .
Everyone thinks Fender is some kind of great amplifier god of some kind and I dis-agree with that and with using any of the fender designs ever again .
Fender knows only fender and nothing else is how I see it now ! .

I normally will study many older wiring diagrams and then I will draw my own conclusions from them all and come up with my own designs and they usually work pretty good - if I do it that way ! .
I'm Not sure why I listened to others on this amp project ? I guess I was just in too big of a hurry with it . If Your amp is not a fender amp then don't try to use a fender design , that is my advice ! . Find something closer to Your amps design to use ! .

I'm Happy It is working good once again now ! . I got some 1950's Sylvania black plates coming for it and then I will fine tune it some more and clean the amp up inside and out and then I will update the forum with some before and after pictures once I get er all done !

Disabled Account
Joined 2014
I lost the bias ? So I Took it to a good tech !

I had My Bell amp working good and then after I shut it off and the bias changed again ? Crazy stuff ! .
I just decided to try once again to find me another good tube amp tech to replace James Henderson may He R.I.P. ! . James was a great guy - miss him and his work ! .
James checked out my very first stereo push pull stereo line amp design and He even gave me a few extra suggestions , James also custom built me a few nice stereo tube PA amps ! . He restored a 1928-31 ish Edison TRF Desktop radio and a 1936 Philco 655X for me . He fixed a Bogen DB 230 A Gold Series 6AV5 amp that no-one else was able to fix ! As good as He was it took him a few months to figure it out ! . I tried myself for a few months and I could not find the problem !
It ended up that A wire was added by a previous owner and that was causing some very bad Oscillations .
I would of certainly have given James about a 90 % or more success rate working with old tube stuff and the rest most likely was not even worth fixing ! .

You never really know what You have until it is gone sometimes !

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.