• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

ISO-TANGO to quit

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I recently talked to Mr. Suzuki owner of the ISO-TANGO that he is going to
shut down the firm by the end of September 2013.
We are grateful that the ISO-Tango have been supplying us excellent transformers, in particular custom ordered ones at reasonable price.

Hello Michimori-san -

I hope you are well.

That is sad news indeed. Tango made excellent products.

Unfortunately, it seems that the same thing seems to be happening in Akihabara. I was there earlier in the week, and every time I come, there are fewer shops selling parts. Hopefully at least a few will survive...

Pete

It is a shame

It will be a shame to see Tango go. At one point Tango and Tamura were the only lights "on" (perhaps with a little glow in the west from Hammond, Lundahl and Sowter) in this area. At least Lundahl are reporting good growth.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I heard somewhere long ago from an apparently reputable source that ISO-TANGO and JAMES transformers were all built on the same assembly lines. Any news if true as to whether or not JAMES will continue to manufacture transformers?

There are some smaller hobbyist oriented speciality transformer makers in Japan, one only has to look in the ads section of MJ to see them.

Excellent alternatives exist both in the USA and the EU for tube audio transformers, and these vendors are generally very comfortable dealing with custom designs for an individual client.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
It will be a shame to see Tango go. At one point Tango and Tamura were the only lights "on" (perhaps with a little glow in the west from Hammond, Lundahl and Sowter) in this area. At least Lundahl are reporting good growth.

Wow, I don't quite know what to say about the above comment..

Plenty of transformer makers in the West, many geared up to deal specifically with the needs of the diyer and small (low volume) manufacturer. (None are recent arrivals to the business sector)

U.S.A: Magnequest, Edcor, Electra-Print, Heyboer, Intact Audio, O-Netics, etc.

EU and Europe: Bartolucci (Italy), Monolith Magnetics (Belgium), Automatic Electric (Holland), Trafomatic (Serbia), IG-Transformatoren (Germany), Lundahl (Sweden), Sowter (UK), S&B (UK)..

Countless others I have certainly missed. (There are several more in Germany alone that I cannot remember.)

Based on limited experience I would say almost any one of these companies will be easier to deal with due to cultural and linguistic barriers with Asian suppliers.

I have worked with both TANGO (Not the later ISO-TANGO) and Tamura iron. Excellent stuff.. Comparable quality is available in the West if you know where to go.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.