Anyone with experience with 4 speaker or + for stereo reproduction?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I listen to a lot of classical music and jazz, and one thing I noticed is that with a couple of speakers behind the listening position as a surround position the music seems more spacial and more pleasing, anyone has tried this? is not a 5.1 or home theater kind of system, just a stereo with couple of speakers to give some ambience...

Time delay (or phase shifts) due to speaker placement or simulates bigger room or echo.

My guess.

:)

maybe... with JRiver I can simulate a `large hall`effect in the DSP module and it really enhance the effect, but the treble seems a little hash to me.
I think a better approach is just to put 2 satellites bellow the listening position and above the ear level, as surround, not pointing to our ears. but would like to hear other suggestions.

IMHO this does not make any sense since the negative terminals of every amplifier are linked together as one. In every circuit the ground is only one. or am I wrong? Adjustable Surround Sound System.jpg

^ that's an old ambience enhancement trick from back in the seventies. Connecting between positive terminals and negative terminals together only reproduces the stereophonic differential signal. Specific placement can and does have many effects, not all of them good, but neat none the less

I think it is almost essential to use more than 2 speakers for stereo reproduction. (Another method is to use only one speaker, but that's a different story :D)

In my experience three front speakers with linear matrix is already a huge improvement over two speaker stereo. It makes the sound more spacious which is generally prefered. It moves the phantom images further behind the speakers which increases realism. And it makes the speakers itself harder to be localised as sound sources. In addition it reduces the negative impact of acoustic cross talk comb filtering notches. It also allows for head turning and lateral movements.

Sorry, I don't have anything negative to say about three speaker stereo :D

Wait, you require 4+ speakers for stereo... I'm going there myself too. At this point no listening results yet. Ongoing.

Gerzon has massive theory for linear matrix stereo implementations, including 3, 4, 5, and so on number of speakers. Have you looked into it yet?

- Elias

Time delay for multi speakers

Back in the 70's, Roger Anderson at Shure did some stereo time delay work with four speakers. The front L & R speakers carried the normal stereo signal whille the rear speakers carried the same stereo signal , only time delayed up to 50 msec. This gave a very good sound for playing records. It really
brought out the ambiance.
The clever thing, was that he used a phonograph record with two cartridges playing the same groove to produce the time delay. To do this , one of the cartridges had to play backwards in the groove. They were mounted not head to tail" but needle to needle".
He broke a lot of needles .
Don

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I often use my good old Yamaha DSP-1 from the 1980s. It derives 4 ambient channels from the stereo input. So you use a 6 speaker system - Mains, front ambiance and rear ambiance. The unit has lots of customizable settings and acoustics of several famous concert halls stored inside.

What I end up liking best, especially for classical, is just plain old Dolby Surround. Basically it's the difference signal with treble roll-off and delay. You could get that effect + the extra amp channels from many old and not expensive home theater receivers.

I think placing the extra speakers behind the listener is not a good idea. For example in a music hall there is typically negligible energy reflected from behind, but the energy arrives from the front and sides, and from above.

Also, following the same thinking, the listening room should be absorbed behind the listener.

Last edited:
I often use my good old Yamaha DSP-1 from the 1980s. It derives 4 ambient channels from the stereo input. So you use a 6 speaker system - Mains, front ambiance and rear ambiance. The unit has lots of customizable settings and acoustics of several famous concert halls stored inside.

What I end up liking best, especially for classical, is just plain old Dolby Surround. Basically it's the difference signal with treble roll-off and delay. You could get that effect + the extra amp channels from many old and not expensive home theater receivers.

hi Pano, this is an nice idea, what old receivers offer this 4 ambience surround? I only see 5.1 that's with 2. Also, do you use what kind of speakers to get the effect? is that some trick or better way to tune? I have a 5.1 sony HT for watching films, but it does not work well with music, how can if the THD is more than 10%... I never heard a HT that reproduces music at satisfactory quality.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.