Ceramic capacitor voltage?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I need to replace few ceramic capacitors on the power amp board. They have markings like "0.1uF KCK" (see picture). What's the voltage I should pick for the replacement cap? Checking Mouser.com website it looks like 0.1uF is listed from 50V to 2KV. Service manual for the amp just lists the capacitance value and not voltage for the ceramic capacitors.

Thanks.

I have a chinese DAC (X22) that has 8 ceramic capacitors that I'm looking to replace with silvered mica. Micas will be 500V (can not get any lower voltage) so I'd be safe. The capacitors are marked 47 with a black stripe above. Took one out, measured, I get like 28pf. Maybe I heated it too much during desoldering.

So they must be 47pf caps but what does the black stripe stand for?

The black stripe/paint on the top signifies the ceramic capacitor's temperature coefficient, which is NP0/C0G. Look up capacitor temperature coefficient.

Your meter might not have the absolute accuracy to measure low value capacitance so don't blame the capacitor.

NP0/C0G are the best ceramic dielectric for audio. Their value is stable with temperature and DC bias and has very low dissipation factor. It will be a complete waste of time and money to replace them.

FWIW, NASA did some reliability tests with C0G multilayer ceramic caps, and they found that their reliability was not statistically affected even when used at 10x their rated voltage. So, for the C0G dielectric, the voltage rating is somewhat meaningless, as they can be used with equivalent reliability at 10x their rated voltages. While higher voltage parts may perform very slightly better, there is little risk of dielectric breakdown for any of these caps in low voltage circuits, regardless of faceplate voltage.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.