Philips cdm-1 differences

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Two players with the CDM-1 Transport, see pictures. The Marantz CD34 and the other Marantz CD74...The CD74 transport is the Japanese version if I'm not mistaken. can anyone tell what that large nut is there, as its not on the CD34. Also, seeing how they are almost identical players, The CD34 plays every cdr thrown at it, while the CD74 is temperamental with some home recordings. Now oddly enough, my Revox B225 has issues with the same identical disc's as well. I don't play cdr's often as I only have 12 home recordings, but I am curious about the why?

Attachments

• L1030421.jpg
    L1030421.jpg
    500.5 KB · Views: 406
  • L1030426.jpg
    L1030426.jpg
    373.6 KB · Views: 367
I have the cdm1, cdm1 mkII cdm2/10 and cdm4/16 and none looks like the one on the right (DIY mod ?)
That motor is also something I never seen in a CDM transport but...
All mine CDMs have the motor like the one on the right but the CDM4/16 composite has a small Mabuchi (?) motor build in

Last edited:
Interesting thread, I hadn't realized that the CDM-1s used in Japanese made players differed at all from those used in European players. I own a Marantz CD84 (has an IR remote, otherwise the same as a CD74), I took the access plate off and found it to be exactly the same as the picture isitrisky posted, including the large brass nut.

I compared it side by side with a CDM-1 from a CD101 (an early type CDM-1), and they share almost no parts, the main chassis casting, PCA, flex PCBs, spindle motor, spindle and laser head are all different.

As for the differences in playback, it could be down to either the differences in servo design (the Japanese made CD84 has a completely different servo to the Belgian CD34) or just differences in the condition of each player. Have you serviced either?

Interesting thread, I hadn't realized that the CDM-1s used in Japanese made players differed at all from those used in European players. I own a Marantz CD84 (has an IR remote, otherwise the same as a CD74), I took the access plate off and found it to be exactly the same as the picture isitrisky posted, including the large brass nut.

I compared it side by side with a CDM-1 from a CD101 (an early type CDM-1), and they share almost no parts, the main chassis casting, PCA, flex PCBs, spindle motor, spindle and laser head are all different.

As for the differences in playback, it could be down to either the differences in servo design (the Japanese made CD84 has a completely different servo to the Belgian CD34) or just differences in the condition of each player. Have you serviced either?
If you compare it side by side, it a much more refined CDM-1 Than the one's out of Belgium. More polished if you will.

I have a Magnavox FD3040 with the drive on the right. I too thought I was had by mods at first. This thread confirms that I was not. Many thanks. And BTW, it seems like a very good CDM-1 so far. I had to adjust the spindle height to get it to play - that was quite an adventure made possible by posts here.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.