F5 Turbo is posted

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
OK, it's up.
navigate to Watts New or Articles.

"[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]My son and nephew have gone off to pursue their own careers, so it's just me. I'm old and slow, so you'll just have to be patient..."[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]
Agh, noooo!!

Taking apprentices perhaps? I'm also old and slow, but with two of us, we'll be ... twice as slow :p

Thanks Mr. Pass, Papa - off to the article now!
[/FONT]

Why the change away from the IRF9240/240

Just finished a fast read of the article looks very interesting . The change from the IRF to Fairchild devices is this because they sound better, or is something else changed ?

Also I look forward to adding the P3 to my current F5 to see what difference it makes to the sound.

Thanks Nelson for this I look forward to the building process and listening. I will start with the V2 , but the V3 and beyond looks like it will keep me occupied for many months to come.

Geof

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Just one question Nelson:worship:,

The original F5 i've built has a sound profile (signature ) that gets visitors to my humble abode drooling...

I remember you saying that if you raise the power you also loose the magic...

My question is; does the character of the amplifier change with this much gain in power ?

I know i'm just being impatient...i need to build one.:cool:

Mr. Pass thanks again for sharing your skills and knowledge with the world. I hope to one day share my own expertise with the world in the same way. I just have to build my career first, so I can afford to share a bit more.

I think it's great that you created a paper for all the guys on here who love the F5 but would like more power. Personally, I am using my stock F5 on my 2ohm 96db/watt/meter speakers and love it. I don't need more power but it is nice to see that you listen to what the community wants, even if it is different then the original goal of the amp.

I can't wait to see the size of the v3 amps that I am sure the guys on this site will build.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
..'course you would have discussed it with Papa in your stay overthere...

believe me , we didn't ; I'm always trying to have some life outside electronic :rofl: , so I bugged Pa with some other things and - when electronic was in question , I had some different questions ; ( did I understood answers or not , that's another issue :clown: )

No source resistors make me think of those lovely and expensive Japanese amps....:)

yup - lovely and expensive ; many of them are just that :D

ra7

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I'm sure this has been covered in this gigantic thread before, but how do you calculate the power in class A?

For example, in F5T V1, with +-32V rails, and 1.0 amp per device, with two pairs per channel, giving a bias of 4 amps per channel.
P = I^2 x R = 4^2 x 8 = 128W peak.

From the original F5 manual, average would be 64W and this would be the power in class A. Correct?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.