Isolation Cabinet for guitar

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
nonsuchpro,

Are you wanting a portable cabinet or stationary/built-in? I am currently designing a built-in ISO box to float inside a walled-up chamber in one corner of my home studio. The reason for the outer chamber is because the ISO box will be ported/vented and I want to minimize sound transfer. The box would be approximately 24"x24"x7'. I would have more than one speaker inside (i like to use 12", 10", and 8" spkrs). There would be a Shure SM57 on the spkr (one each), and one AKG 414 at the other end of the box.

I've attached a drawing of the ISO box with two spkrs. It appears on its side, but would actually be in a vertical position in the corner having the speakers aiming downward with venting on both ends of the box. There would be no directly opposing surfaces inside the box - hence the odd shape. Also, every surface would be insulated - inside and out. The inside of the outer chamber would also be insulated.

I'm also on the hunt and eager to learn about toggle switches. Particularly one that will allow me to select 4 or 8 ohm loads from the speaker(s), given the various amplifiers I will use with the ISO box. Using a dummy load resistor on one side of the switch (with the spkr on both sides) should accomplish this task. But the switch is yet unknown.

Good Luck!

Attachments

• Guitar Chamber_01.jpg
    Guitar Chamber_01.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 106
nonsuchpro,

Are you wanting a portable cabinet or stationary/built-in? I am currently designing a built-in ISO box to float inside a walled-up chamber in one corner of my home studio. The reason for the outer chamber is because the ISO box will be ported/vented and I want to minimize sound transfer. The box would be approximately 24"x24"x7'. I would have more than one speaker inside (i like to use 12", 10", and 8" spkrs). There would be a Shure SM57 on the spkr (one each), and one AKG 414 at the other end of the box.

I've attached a drawing of the ISO box with two spkrs. It appears on its side, but would actually be in a vertical position in the corner having the speakers aiming downward with venting on both ends of the box. There would be no directly opposing surfaces inside the box - hence the odd shape. Also, every surface would be insulated - inside and out. The inside of the outer chamber would also be insulated.

I'm also on the hunt and eager to learn about toggle switches. Particularly one that will allow me to select 4 or 8 ohm loads from the speaker(s), given the various amplifiers I will use with the ISO box. Using a dummy load resistor on one side of the switch (with the spkr on both sides) should accomplish this task. But the switch is yet unknown.

Good Luck!

Cool man... looks good. I wish I could see the inside of the Rivera SilentSister's labyrinth. I'm sure it's like a maze.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.