• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Quicksilver Mono Amp Model 1300 - creating Auto Bias wanted

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Tube amplifier without resistors in series to the cathode pins (i. e. without Auto-Bias version) needs still a negative voltage for idle current adjust. In case of faulty variable resistor the tube runs on the maximal possible quiescent current because the negative voltage isn't longer present.
This issue is present by two Quicksilver monos, which I have on the table.
In the attachement you will see the schematic in original (genuine) condition (first and second page of pdf attachement) so as in the modified condition (third page) with removed bias voltage unit and added resistors/Caps in the cathode lines (not yet tested).
Are there things that must be considered additional?

Attachments

• Quicksilver Audio Amp 1300.pdf
    27.4 KB · Views: 135
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Connect a large value resistor (relative to the value of the pot, say 100 - 220K ) between the negative bias supply and the wiper of the pot - this will prevent pot failure from resulting in ruined output tubes.

Autobias probably is not a good idea with these amplifiers as it will introduce yet another LF pole in the closed loop response and if these are like the other Quicksilver amps I have worked on they are Williamson topology and small changes can make them unstable. I have yet to find a good sounding large bypass capacitor for cathode bias, although perhaps one of the Janzen film caps might work well. This will also substantially reduce output capability and shift the output stage operating point significantly. (Depends on what output tube is used, the hit with KT88/6550 is significant, 8417 less so.)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.