40Hz TH

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi.
I love to read about all the projects on this forum.
I have build some speakers trough many years and i would like to share my latest project with you.
Goal: reasonably flat down to 35Hz, minimum 100dB @ 40Hz/2,83v 2pi.
Easy to move around, DJ use.
I will build 4pc first.
There are many 15inch speakers that simulate well, RCF 15NW100, Beyma 15P1000/1200/1300ND, Faital 15HP1060 etc.
I have some brand new Eminence 3015LF on my shelf, but they seem to do the job best in lower compression ratios.
There is one part i am unsure how will affect the result:
After the first bend there is a slight negative tapper towards the second bend...
Any idea?
As a result of that i am not sure how to acuratly simulate the horn, maybe i schould give AKBAK one more try...
Hornresp input will follow.

Dag

Attachments

• 15062011141.jpg
    15062011141.jpg
    551.9 KB · Views: 3,565
  • 15062011142.jpg
    15062011142.jpg
    617.9 KB · Views: 3,323
  • 15062011144.jpg
    15062011144.jpg
    696.5 KB · Views: 3,131
Hi.
I love to read about all the projects on this forum.
I have build some speakers trough many years and i would like to share my latest project with you.
Goal: reasonably flat down to 35Hz, minimum 100dB @ 40Hz/2,83v 2pi.
Easy to move around, DJ use.
I will build 4pc first.
There are many 15inch speakers that simulate well, RCF 15NW100, Beyma 15P1000/1200/1300ND, Faital 15HP1060 etc.
I have some brand new Eminence 3015LF on my shelf, but they seem to do the job best in lower compression ratios.
There is one part i am unsure how will affect the result:
After the first bend there is a slight negative tapper towards the second bend...
Any idea?
As a result of that i am not sure how to acuratly simulate the horn, maybe i schould give AKBAK one more try...
Hornresp input will follow.

Dag
Looks good!
Why bother simulating something you have already built?
That will tell if you met your goals, sims don't.

Hornresp model

Hi Dag,

For a 4-section simulation in Hornresp S1/S2/S4/S5 are defined by the box construction and the loudspeaker location. To find the location for S3 you almost have to draw a roll-out of the horn path, and find the point where S3 best matches the horn shape. Soho54 provided quite a few nice examples, here is one:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/175658-tham15-compact-15-tapped-horn-21.html#post2451737

As to the flare, somebody calculated, that for hornpath with parallel sides, as in tapped horns, PAR is normally the correct flare.

Regards,

Attachments

• TH_inside_side view_area_locations_15062011144.jpg
    TH_inside_side view_area_locations_15062011144.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 2,860
As to the flare, somebody calculated, that for hornpath with parallel sides, as in tapped horns, PAR is normally the correct flare.

Regards,

I think PAR is only right when paralell walls are used and the expantion is with 90 degrees bends!?
In my horns it expands a little more.
In liters it ads up between CON and EXP.
But i will try to simulate with four segments.
Here is how i calculated 3 segments:

Attachments

• spl.JPG
    spl.JPG
    43.2 KB · Views: 845
  • Hornresp input.JPG
    Hornresp input.JPG
    51.9 KB · Views: 2,735
Hi Dag,

Your design really looks nice, it reminds me a bit of screamerusa's Furysub, he empirically arrived at a number of non-obvious reflectors/angles/locations (e.g.: particularly at not putting a reflector into the upper front of the cabinet). He also added a board from S1 to S2 to reduce the S1 area. It may be something to keep in mind for modifications and another build:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/131852-live-sound-specific-tapped-horn-thread-54.html

Regards,

Attachments

• TH_inside_side view_area_locations_reflectors_15062011144.jpg
    TH_inside_side view_area_locations_reflectors_15062011144.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 905
Hi Dag,

Your design really looks nice, it reminds me a bit of screamerusa's Furysub, he empirically arrived at a number of non-obvious reflectors/angles/locations (e.g.: particularly at not putting a reflector into the upper front of the cabinet). He also added a board from S1 to S2 to reduce the S1 area. It may be something to keep in mind for modifications and another build:
Hi Oliver, I think in this case the upper front could maybe benifit from a corner correction. I noticed when two horn path section of near same length they can benefit from corner correction and when two path sections have an 1/3, 2/3, 4/3 ect relation you need to be careful.

Thanks for all the input and sugestions! :)
Four segment simulation with Eminence 3015LF (i know- i know, but that is the only 15 inch driver at hand now)
Made a quick impedance meassurement and its not exactly spot on...
The height of the peaks is one thing, another is the first peak which are some 6Hz higher than predicted by Hornresp.
Hm...
As of reflector plate, i will try it in the second to last bend.
But first i have to decide on which speaker i am going to use.... decisions decitions! :)

Dag

Attachments

• 3050LF.JPG
    3050LF.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 522
  • 3015LF impedance.JPG
    3015LF impedance.JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 346
  • TH impedance.jpg
    TH impedance.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 419
The shape and location of the first peak suggests that (1) the horn is a bit shorter than the sim (how did you measure its length?), and (2) you might have some leakage around or near the driver.

That explains it, i just laid the horn upside down so the magnet was facing upwards, holding the speaker firmly in place.
I guess i should mount the speaker before taking more measurements.:rolleyes:
The length was measured along the midle of the path, dividing the 90 degrees bends in four.

Dag

Thanks for all the input and sugestions! :)
Four segment simulation with Eminence 3015LF (i know- i know, but that is the only 15 inch driver at hand now)
Made a quick impedance meassurement and its not exactly spot on...
The height of the peaks is one thing, another is the first peak which are some 6Hz higher than predicted by Hornresp.
Hm...
As of reflector plate, i will try it in the second to last bend.
But first i have to decide on which speaker i am going to use.... decisions decitions! :)

Dag
seems the specs differ a bit for the 3015LF

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.