• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

now mono blocks!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well, I got the Opera Reference 5.5 in the end. It's a great piece of kit!

Now I want more, hehehe. The R5.5 (mk2) is 300B powered, and has nice bias adjustments on the front. Very convenient.

However, obviously I also want 845s! Just so I have something different, in case I feel liek a change :p
So I am still considering MingDa. I can probably get MC845-C's (845 mono blocks) plus an MC-7R (pre-amp) for about 12k RMB. However, now I know the build quality et al of the consonance, I'm wondering if it's worth saving up some extra cash and go for the Consonance Opera Reference 9.9, which is a dual monoblock using 845s. Again gorgeous pieces of kit, but this one also needs a good pre-amp. So if I go for the R9.9's plus pre-amp from same brand, that sets me back 30k RMB! Whilst the MingDa set would set me back just 12k RMB, quite a difference!

Another point I'd like to bring up is: Speaker choice.
What speakers should I get using the R5.5? With 18W I can imagine I need quite sensitive speakers. Any suggestions for what goes well with 300B driven 18W integrated amp? I'm currently using B&W CDM 7NTs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.