Poor man's TAD TD-2002

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Most 1" drivers can be crossed lower than 1 kHz.. it really all depends on the target high-pass character and the size of the horn (..and the expected max spl for that driver).

On of the major problems is the impedance profile of the driver in the horn..

As far as "poor man's".. that relative to what you consider "poor".

Take a look at fostex's drivers..

They even have one that has an alnico motor

(..it uses a 2" diaphragm - so that's why it has a bit more output at lower freq.s than other 1" exit drivers.)

https://www.madisound.com/store/index.php?cPath=45_229_293

Thank you very much Helmuth. Looking into these right now...
The bms 4550 cost only 103 euro here. 17 time's cheaper as the tad driver!
bms_4550_curves.jpg

I do not know a better price performance ratio.
At 110dB output third harmonic at -50dB 0.001%! second -30dB 0,1% at 110dB output level. Highend.

And the bms 4555 cost only 105 euro suburb drivers for the money.

Last edited:
I had TAD TD-2001, B&C DE250, Radian 475PB, JBL 2420, Altec 802D, BMS 4550, Emilar EA175, Beyma CP380, and RCF ND350 compression drivers at various times. I personally liked the last two (CP380 & ND350) the best. The BMS in my opinion is good for people that like clinical levels of detail. To me this is tiresome to my ears. Both the Beyma and RCF drivers are clean, clear while maintaining a naturalness that the BMS lacks. Your mileage may very.

Rgs, JLH

JLH: the Beyma CP380M has a mylar dome which probably accounts for the smooth relaxed quality (or a good part of it). I know that several of the Radians are also mylar diaphragms also. I have not looked up the RCF. I wonder if you know the exit angle of the Beyma CP380M? I have sent a post to Beyma but not had a response. Transition from any comp driver into a horn has to have a significant impact on how the combination will sound. I suspect this may be one of the critical factors in why some combination's of horns and drivers seem to excel while others do not. Your comments would be appreciated. Best regards Moray James.

I had TAD TD-2001, B&C DE250, Radian 475PB, JBL 2420, Altec 802D, BMS 4550, Emilar EA175, Beyma CP380, and RCF ND350 compression drivers at various times. I personally liked the last two (CP380 & ND350) the best. The BMS in my opinion is good for people that like clinical levels of detail. To me this is tiresome to my ears. Both the Beyma and RCF drivers are clean, clear while maintaining a naturalness that the BMS lacks. Your mileage may very.

Rgs, JLH

A advise when the compression driver doesn't sound right. It may need a bit series resistance to raise QTS.

What I experienced that wire wound resistors aren't good for attenuation of a compression driver, they sound bright, I would say false detail almost harsh moments. The compression drivers are to sensitive to use poor quality resistors.

I use many 1,5W metal film parallel it maintains natural sound with all good compression drivers. You get a almost perfect inductive free resistance and it has the advantage to tune the level very precise by adding and removing resistors one by one.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.