• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

EL166 MTM ML-TL

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Got the pair playing in my office today.

Woden Design's Twin EL166 ML-TL (with my own variations). Executed as an MTM with an FF85KeN. We started this one before FF85 was discontinued, you could use your favorite mid-tweeter -- i think Alpair 6M should be a good candidate -- or a tweeter of your choice.

Lots of good well controlled bass. Even thou XO work is still at early stage, i am quite happy with them.

195454d1289116224-marks-proto-6-5-woofer-1-silk-tweet-combo-el166-mtm-front.jpg

195455d1289116224-marks-proto-6-5-woofer-1-silk-tweet-combo-el166-mtm-close.jpg

dave

Bringing this one up again. I had been working on this idea and did not realise this thread existed. I was thinking of using two EL166 with an EL70 in a fast system but there would be quite a high sensitivity mismatch. What other 3" _ 4" driver or even slightly larger would match the sensitivity of two EL166 in parallel and still go all the way to the top with good quality sound? I was thinking of a much lower crossover than you have probably used here. It might need to be able to handle a bit more power than the little fostex also.
Thanks for any input,
jamikl

Thanks for that Dave. I was thinking about trying tubes for a change but with all the different types of speakers I fancy I think it will be back to SS for me. Maybe a nice lower powered Class A or something from Nelson.

How is the sound of the EL166 say up to about 300Hz or is there something else about the same size I should be looking at? This could suit a shape similar to the poormans Strad:)
jamikl

Last edited:
I forgot to post up a few months back when I did a similar set. I think mine were based on the first set of plans you guys had released. The bass is quite surprising and indeed very well controlled. I paired mine with the ERT26 tweeter from CSS as well. Simply stunning sound from an extremely low amount spent in drivers.

000_00491.jpg

They look handsome!

What type of music have you tried on these?

-Zia

X-Over

I forgot to post up a few months back when I did a similar set. I think mine were based on the first set of plans you guys had released. The bass is quite surprising and indeed very well controlled. I paired mine with the ERT26 tweeter from CSS as well. Simply stunning sound from an extremely low amount spent in drivers.

000_00491.jpg

000_00511.jpg

Could you please post the x-over for these?

Ehhh, to be honest I think it might be closer to "real" than a normal speaker. Live music, being sang or made with instruments, doesn't project in only one direction. So saying a speaker that projects in multiple directions is wrong by design doesn't seem to be 100% accurate in my book. I think that a lot of these different designs all have something unique about them that's beneficial and that's what makes them special.

I agree with that. I should have more correctly said those who consider themselves to be purists. I worked with a few of them at a high-end retailer in Houston back in the 70's. Their nostrils would flare at any attempt to add ambience. Of course they hated Bose but so did I ,not because of the concept but because they were junk and I had to fix (or totally rebuild) them.

Steve,

This system is bi-amped?

Regards,
Zia

Nope, single pair of binding posts with a final impedance of 8ohms if I recall correctly. I don't have this set in my home anymore (gave them to a friend) so I can't pull the crossovers and look at them. My friend who did the design for the crossover has been very busy lately with work but I'm trying to catch him when he's got a free moment.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.