Connecting 2 subs to 1 amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Heres what they are...

Amp ; Alpine pdx-1.600 600 watt rms by 2ohm or 4ohm

Subs ; Two 10" Alpine Type R's 2ohm Dual Coils

I have been trying to connect both of them in a parallel connection but when i do and I put them both in my box they go flat, once I take one speaker out a little bit they hit again.

I look at the wiring diagram that came with the speakers but I don't think I am doing it right.

Maybe its the box I'm putting them in, maybe i need another amp, maybe its the way I'm wiring. Right now I just have the one hooked up and it hits but not like a type r should, other people I know who have type s tens rattle windows!!!

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!

Purely guessing here, but odd that one driver direct to the amp isn't working right?

Sounds like each driver has two windings, each of which is 2 ohms. Wire them in series, find the + of the first winding (either one is OK) and connect it to amp the other end of that winding (the -) to the + of the second winding and then the - of the second winding to the amp. I could have that wrong, but that's the concept.

If that doesn't sound OK, that is odd.

Then might as well do drivers in series (total of 8 ohms, again the first - wired to the second +) instead of in parallel (total of 1 ohm... not good).

I was wiring it wrong, i finally fixed it!!!!!!!! and now they hit HARDDDD!!! Getting my twleve inch type rs sunday can't wait, thank you to all that replied!!! It was all helpful!!

This is how I wired it;

Amp + to speakerA winding 1+ Speaker wire from winding 1+ to speaker b winding 1+ Amp - to Speaker A Winding 2 - speaker wire from winding 2- to speaker b winding 2 - then I two headed banana clipped the + and - of winding 1 and winding 2 bridged them and completed the 2ohm series

WORKS BEAUTIFULLY!!!!

Can't understand the pdf pictures. I didn't realize you had a stereo amp and each driver is connected to a different amp (see the ambiguity?). Sorry.

I suspect both the amp and speaker will be happier of you wire the two voice coils in series, as I described, and present the amp with a 4 ohm load. While I suppose the amp can drive a 2 ohm load OK, given the opportunity to use 4 ohms, I'd take it. But then again, I am not too familiar with auto sound practice.

Tip: if the 2 ohm power output rating of the amp (amps?) is not fully double the 4 ohm rating, go with 4 ohm wiring.

Last edited:
Heres what they are...

Amp ; Alpine pdx-1.600 600 watt rms by 2ohm or 4ohm

Subs ; Two 10" Alpine Type R's 2ohm Dual Coils

I have been trying to connect both of them in a parallel connection but when i do and I put them both in my box they go flat, once I take one speaker out a little bit they hit again.

I look at the wiring diagram that came with the speakers but I don't think I am doing it right.

Maybe its the box I'm putting them in, maybe i need another amp, maybe its the way I'm wiring. Right now I just have the one hooked up and it hits but not like a type r should, other people I know who have type s tens rattle windows!!!

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Sounds like a 2 ohm final impedance is what you want.

Tip: if the 2 ohm power output rating of the amp (amps?) is not fully double the 4 ohm rating, go with 4 ohm wiring.
that is a good tip.
I would relax the doubled power value to +80% into half the load resistance.

However, so many of these specifications only print what the manufacturer wants you to see, that they are effectively lying about the capability of their product.

Going to higher than the minimum recommended impedance is a wise decision.

If it says it is stable into 2ohms and does not detail the dBV into various resistance loads then play safe and use a 4ohm speaker.

The PDX is like a few other 12VDC amplifiers, in that the 2-4 ohm power rating is constant by design, not inferior parts. The JL Slash amps do the same thing, as well as some of the older Phoenix Gold ones.

Alpine generally has been pretty honest with their power ratings - they aren't like new Hifonics, for example.

If this is a bridgable amp with two channels then you can only connect a minimum of 4 ohms to it in bridged mode as each channel will see half the load. A 2 ohm stable amp in bridged mode will only tolerate a 4 ohm minimum load as the amp will see it as 2 ohms. Connecting a 2 ohm load to a bridged amp will be a 1 ohm load for the amp and it will be below its stable rating and cook it.

Also, not taxing the amp to the limit allows it to run cooler, makes it reliable, draw less current, and have lower distortion levels. If the amp isn't loud enough then buy a bigger amp. Don't use the lowest possible impedance load that it is rated for or you will just spend double to replace it when it smokes.

I think most are agreeing that the amp will perform better if it is given a 4ohm load rather than a 2ohm load.

The 2+2ohm DVC speaker can be configured to either 1ohm or 4ohm.
A pair of 2+2ohm DVC speakers can be configured as any of 0.5ohm, or 2ohm, or 8ohm.

The only configuration that offers 4ohm is to drive one speaker with both the 2ohm Voice Coils wired in series and buy a second 2ohm rated amplifier to drive the second speaker also wired for 4ohm series connection.

This will give as much SPL as the 2ohm rating, in fact ir will give slightly more SPL and the sound quality will be better than a 2ohm capable amplifier alone could offer.

My general advice.
Don't go to extreme low impedance loads, ever.
Dedicate an appropriate amplifier to every driver.

I think most are agreeing that the amp will perform better if it is given a 4ohm load rather than a 2ohm load.

The 2+2ohm DVC speaker can be configured to either 1ohm or 4ohm.
A pair of 2+2ohm DVC speakers can be configured as any of 0.5ohm, or 2ohm, or 8ohm.

The only configuration that offers 4ohm is to drive one speaker with both the 2ohm Voice Coils wired in series and buy a second 2ohm rated amplifier to drive the second speaker also wired for 4ohm series connection.

This will give as much SPL as the 2ohm rating, in fact ir will give slightly more SPL and the sound quality will be better than a 2ohm capable amplifier alone could offer.

My general advice.
Don't go to extreme low impedance loads, ever.
Dedicate an appropriate amplifier to every driver.

SPL in-car can be a very interesting beast.

I'm just not sure what the hesistation is to an amplifier that's known to be stable into a 2 ohm load, with the coils that the OP currently has.

2 ohms in the world of 12VDC is not that low. Countless 1 ohm-stable amps are out there. Now if we were talking about running at a half-ohm for everyday use, I'd agree :) The number of amps that are comfortable with that are much less, although they do exist.

Sounds like a 2 ohm final impedance is what you want.

this is exactly how i have them wired...

bentoronto; i only have one amp to run both the speakers

eventually i will get another amp

thank you all for your input, I take it very strongly!

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.