• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Promotion: Hi-end Volume Control Module,Ultimate Attenuator for Audio

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
With years of audio attenuators design & development experience, Ortho Audio presents new attenuator with remote for DIY HI-END project------Ultimate Attenuator for Audio.

The UAA based on true R-2R topology, which provides best audio performance and precision of attenuation. Such topology can be found in high performance high-frequency PGA chips like X-AMPs by ADI (analog device Inc).

Controlling volume is one of the most important part in HIFI/HIEND systems. The best way is to use digital controlled attenuation modules, this method provides higher controlling precision, higher audio performance and more convenience. One example is Mark Levinson No.32 reference preamplifier, there are two precision R-2R attenuation modules in it. The UAA is nearly a ‘clone’ of Mark Levinson’s module, the topology, device, layout and structure of UAA are similar with Mark Levinson’s.

The design and test of UAA cost more than one year, carefully 4 layers layout provides high audio performance. The final version UAA module provides super THD+N performance <0.0003% with 5V balanced driving 750 ohm load, residual noise less than 1.5uV with 20~22K BW. All the measurement were given by ATS-2 (Audio Precision Inc).

The UAA was designed as mono balanced structure, which provides best performance for balanced audio system. One UAA module can be also configured as dual single-end channels, in this case, UAA can be used in common stereo systems.

Easy to use. UAA needs only extra +/-14V DC regulated PSU and one digital controller. There are four IO ports in UAA. PSU, CONTROL , INPUT and OUTPUT. All the IO ports are standard 2.54mm headers. MCU , remote handset and display module comes with UAA module.

For more information, please refer to another thread in diyaudio of mine

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/swap-meet/163454-fs-ultimate-attenuator-kit-audio-balanced-single-end.html

promotion: 350 USD balanced version, only 1 kit available ^_^

attachment.php

168123d1271926938-fs-ultimate-attenuator-kit-audio-balanced-single-end-thd-n-vs-amp-750-ohm-loaded-wei.jpg

Attachments

• MODULE.jpg
    MODULE.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 2,339
Just wondering.
You're only offering balanced single channel?
Are you planning on offering more and would they be suitable for stacking
several unit for full surround system? (I guess that depends on the controller)
What type of controller interface bus?

Hi coloradosound,

Yes the interface bus of controller determined how many R-2R modules can be control individually. Now only stereo balanced available, but multi-channel is optional in the futrue
thank you for your advice

best regards
Lu

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Hi Lu,
Is it easy to separate the input selector and the attenuator? I suppose the output from the input sector is fed to the attenuator. I want to use it to attenuate the output from the linestage pre so the selector can be used to choose the source input.
Best

Hi Lu,
Is it easy to separate the input selector and the attenuator? I suppose the output from the input sector is fed to the attenuator. I want to use it to attenuate the output from the linestage pre so the selector can be used to choose the source input.
Best

Hi Prakit, It is easy to separate the input selector and the attenuator, just cut the copper trace in the bottom side.

sele-out=selector output
At-in=R-2R attenuator board input
attachment.php

please check the jpg file
thank you

best regards
Lu

Attachments

• CUT.JPG
    CUT.JPG
    130.8 KB · Views: 3,228
Hi bbp and prakit

I wonder if you would mind giving me some feedback on the Ortho remote attenuator. I'd like to use this remote for my John Broskie Aikido active tube pre-amp build for volume, mute, on/off & source selection control, but I'm a complete newbie to this subject.

prakit, it seems from your posts that you are very happy with the kit and are also using it in an active pre-amp. Unfortunately I did not fully understand why you would need to separate the input selection from the volume control (attenuator) part of the boards.

Any help you could offer would be much appreciated. Thanks very much.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.