diyAudio

diyAudio (https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/index.php)
-   Parts (https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/parts/)
-   -   Best caps for power supply? (https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/parts/169678-caps-power-supply.html)

neong 2nd July 2010 10:18 PM

Best caps for power supply?

Hi, I have a power amp in which I want to upgrade the power supply caps (bigger and better than the original ones) and I want to understand which is the best cap between Mundorf M-Lytic, Vishay BC Components, Panasonic FM and Kendeil.
I think that the most important parameters are ESR, ESL and ripple but I can't find the data of all of this products so I'd like to hear your opinion, thanks

star882 3rd July 2010 12:44 AM

Just install some additional capacitors of the same or greater voltage rating in parallel. Preferably, add some to provide bypassing where the power supply connects to the output transistors or IC.

Beware that too much capacitance might prevent the power supply from starting up. It can be worked around by slowing down the soft start rate, but doing so may involve a lot of reverse engineering and modification.

neong 3rd July 2010 07:32 AM

Ok, but I'd like to know which one has the best features between Mundorf M-Lytic, Kendeil, Vishay BC Components and Panasonic FM

Atilla 3rd July 2010 09:19 AM

The datasheets are all online, download them and check the parameters - ESR, ripple current, expected lifetime, etc.

You probably won't find that much difference there though.

neong 3rd July 2010 11:09 AM

I've wrote in the first message that I can't find all the datasheet, I've asked an opinion for that reason :)

Pano 3rd July 2010 11:24 AM

I can't answer which is better between those choices, but I've always been happy with the Panasonic FM series. Low ESR and they just seem to work. A lot of other people like them too.

wintermute 3rd July 2010 11:47 AM

Hi Neong, it might help if you specify size and voltage as well. The panasonic FM's max out at 1000uf 50V so depending on the voltage you need and the size they may be out of contention before you start.

The M-Lytics sound good from the sales pitch, but they are expensive. Haven't tried so can't comment.

Vishay BC is rather broad, they have many different models of caps some may be more suitable than others. I've not ever looked at the specs on any Kendeil caps.

I ended up going for Nichicon KG's (yet to be installed) based on a recommendation by a well respected amp designer, and because they seem to be relatively good value for money.

Those mlytics do sound kinda nice though if money isn't an object, whether it is a case of diminishing returns (or just plain marketing) though I couldn't say.

Tony.

bobodioulasso 3rd July 2010 12:04 PM

Vishay - Capacitors - 106 PED-ST - Aluminum Capacitors Power Eurodin Screw Terminals

audi0 3rd July 2010 12:08 PM

I have tried M-lytics, Panasonic FM's and Nichi FG's and found them all to be excellent. A good comparison by Eric Juaneda is here: High End Audio - Electrolytic capacitors

neong 3rd July 2010 12:16 PM

Thank you all :)

@audi0:
beside the fact that they are all good have you noticed any sonic differences between them?

I also remember that I have to use them for the power supply, not on the signal path.

Actually the amp has 8 80 V 10.000 uF caps, so 40.000 uF for channell, too few. I want to upgrade to 60.000 or better 80.000 uF for channell, so I have to choices: to use bigger caps (say 22.000) in the same number of the original ones, so I can use the same board or make a completely new board with 16 caps 10.000 uF each.