HT and stereo

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I want to build a HT set based on CHR-70 - pair of fronts and pair of surrounds, trying to do with no center.
Thinking of using mMarS IvO as surrounds, need help choosing the fronts.
My room ~ 16x12 ft, TV set on the shorter wall, what complicates the fronts positioning - there are two closet doors of standard height on the same wall with TV set.
So I can place speakers above the doors which is too high or I may fit one of them in a narrow space between closet doors vertically. I found two candidates for this: half Tower wallMount and HT wallMount Ov99. Please tell me what would your preferance (don't know if mounting HT Ov99 vertically is a good idea)

Also interested of building Mar-Kel70s for stereo. I wonder if they can be mounted on a wall. How big and what the difference using EL-70eN vs EL-70 in this cabinet.
Dave, do you still need beta testers for this design ?

Thanks a lot,
Michael

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Hi, I want to build a HT set based on CHR-70 - pair of fronts and pair of surrounds, trying to do with no center.

Sorry for the tardy reply, finding this in the P10 forum was a surprise (i have moved it to the FR forum).

I do hope you hve gotten your answers, and are actually listening as we approach the new year.

The "tall" wall mount CHR enclosure is a modified half-tower.

The El70 can also be adapted for this use, they do not do as well sealed as the CHR, so for adequate bass one of the vented enclosures would be required.

I could be considered predudiced, but the EL70eN is in a whole different league than the stock driver, i would even say better bang for the buck.

dave

"trying to do with no center"

I didn't think a centre was needed. Until I installed one.

I was in the same boat - the last time I even tried to play with a center channel was well over 5 yrs ago, and for a variety of reasons the results were less than stellar. But I finally shamed myself into setting up the new little Denon AVR1610 the other day. The Audyssy calibrated mike and software sure make set up a breeze.

Actually it was while unpacking the new 1080p LCD I bought myself for Christmas after the 4 yr old 720p plasma went dark that I decided to play around a little bit with the audio. Still no woofer, but FE167E for L&R and FE127E for center seems fine for now.

My HT set up is based on a projector so the front L and R are fairly widely separated and the centre speaker does make a clear improvement.
So for the first big test, we watched "2012" - fun film (Woody Harrelson is definitely the best part - but was that really acting? :)), and with the higher resolution you can really see where the CGI budget dollars go - but after 2 1/2 hours I started to cheer for the tsunami. :rolleyes: Later in the evening, I played an old PBS concert of Stevie Ray Vaughn - "Riviera Paradise" as recorded at ACL in 1989 - need I say more?

moral of the story - center channel can certainly contribute to the home cinematic experience

now i just have to sort out where the other 4+1 speakers go :eek:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.