Mcintosh speakers, model XD-715

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all. I just received a pair of McIntosh XD-715 speakers, and have them hooked up and am listening to them as I write. Not bad, actually. I looked them up and they were expensive (surprise!) and were made until 1990.

Soundwise, they are a lot lighter in the bass/midbass range than my Dahlquist DQM-7's, but the mids and highs are a bit forward. Hate to say it, but the Asian heritage is very apparent. What say you?

The drivers are Asian, quite a surprise for the Made in USA company.

If any of you have any experience with these I would appreciate your input. They seem to be working fine, as all drivers are doing their job.

McIntosh XD-715

Yes, indeed I did, a second time. The part about the XD715 is perhaps the shortest diatribe of the bunch, with absolutely no explanation as to why they would choose an Asian company's products instead of their own products of 'intense research'. Here we go again. Maybe the company was about to go belly up at the time, who knows? They did compromise on the tweeter, using the tried and true Peerless one inch soft dome. There are no data on their speaker products, and they gloss over that by saying they know better than any of us. I would say that thousands of speaker companies have come and gone, with lots of models offered. To this day, speakers are sold like steaks; good looking and lots of sizzle. How about all the hype from Bose, the MIT geniuses that sell plastic boxes and equalizers?
I have searched the web trying to find some reviews on these speakers. NO luck so far. After a half-day of listening to all manner of music, I think some of the other brands I have in my collection are superior.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.