Edit Time

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I just noticed that the time limit for editing is a paltry 15 minutes, I thought the previous standard of 30 minutes was just a bit short. I'd like to see the option to edit retained for an hour or at least a half hour.

I often significantly refine my posts over the course of a half hour or so as additional thoughts occur. This I think is often more coherent than posting multiple messages where the context in this ADD plagued world may have already been lost.

I know this is not a bug, but a choice.. :)

Why is it so short?

On other forums you can edit a post of yours months later, with it noting an edit date/time stamp. There are longer threads that get indexed back to other posts made by people, and for example a For Sale thread with multiple items can be edited by the seller with a SOLD for individual items when they've gone so it saves looking through long threads. Or realising later, after the time limit you've spelled something wrong etc and can correct.

Never saw the point at all for the limitation.

Hello

Why there is a time limit for editing of 30 minutes only ?

I am french speaking and a bit dislectic, so writing in english are more complicate for me, not only because of writing errors but also because it is hard for me to explain correctly my ideas, so I have to edit lot of times most of my posts, and sometime I find out a corrections to do only an our later.

Is it possible to extend time limit for editing to much longer times ?

Thank you

Bye

Gaetan

Here's how I do it:
Almost every post I make is composed in a text editor. Only when I'm perfectly happy with it, its get copied into the forums' message box.

Hello

I do that too.

But I have some problem of concentration in text reading, maby because of my age, so most of the time I do not see the errors or the wrong terms in my explanations, so I need many times of reading or by reading the reply showing
that I was not clear in my explanations.

But why anyway there is a time limit for editing ?

Thank

Bye

Gaetan

I understand. You could always makes a second, corrected post referring to a mistake.
If not twice a day, you could ask a mod to do the editing. :)

Time is limited because it might generate disputes:
“But you wrote in that post…”
“Me? No, I wrote…see here: <edited post#>"
“I’m sure something else was written yesterday…”
“No, it wasn’t…”
"You're a ..."
...:redhot:

If you are speaking of raquel2010's double post, I just deleted it.

Nope, i meant exactly what i said. When someone double posts the content of the two messages are automatically merged. That seems like a very good idea IMO and like i said, other forums are applying it successfully. The automerged double post still bumps the topic it is posted in, but spares everyone else of viewing that user's avatar and signature twice in a row.

Disabled Account
Joined 2004
but spares everyone else of viewing that user's avatar and signature twice in a row.

LOL, some sensible characters here. You have the option of reading the text only. I'm never bothered about that, grammar mistakes used to bother me but not anymore, nowadays I found them funny. You have to keep in mind that people understand that English might not be your mother tongue.

It is true that sometimes you say silly things and want them deleted. Too late. Comfort yourself with the fact that even men of genius have stupid thoughts at least once a day. :D

Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
Nope, i meant exactly what i said. When someone double posts the content of the two messages are automatically merged. That seems like a very good idea IMO and like i said, other forums are applying it successfully. The automerged double post still bumps the topic it is posted in, but spares everyone else of viewing that user's avatar and signature twice in a row.

Gotcha. Is that stock with vBulletin 4 perhaps?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.